HD options?

T

tictak

Hi,

Need some advice. I used to own a Dual 2Ghz G5 PowerMac, with 320GB of storage, I was using about 16OGB.

I want to order a MacBook but need to know what large HD are available, othe than the options Apple are shipping?

Has anybody upgrade theirs?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It should be fairly easy to do:

Just make sure you buy a 2,5" Serial ATA (SATA) harddrive. Look for 5400 or 7200 rpm speeds.

OP
T

tictak

Aptmunich said:
It should be fairly easy to do:

Just make sure you buy a 2,5" Serial ATA (SATA) harddrive. Look for 5400 or 7200 rpm speeds.

I can't find any 5400rpm 160GB SATA drives forsale, they all seam to be out of stock.

I can find some 4200rpm 160GB SATA drives, do you think the slower speed will be noticable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i guess that it will be quite slow

do you really plan on carrying all of your stuff around with you at all times? it may be just as easy to use your powermac as a fileserver for mp3's and whatever is taking up the most space or pick up an external drive. just some other options

-chris

OP
M

MJGUK

They should be out there, but I do highly recommend the option of external storage too....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
The speed difference is very noticeable. Check out my MacBook site for the latest hard drive information:

http://www.wiredbynature.org/comp/mac/macbook/mods.php#Harddrive

Basically, the bigger hard drive you get, the slower it will go. The current biggest hard drive for laptops is 200gb, but it's 4200rpm. The next biggest is 160gb in 5400rpm, but it is not released in an SATA version yet. After that is the 120gb 5400rpm model. The fastest hard drive is 7200rpm, available in up to 100gb capacities. There is a noticeable difference between 4200rpm, 5400rpm, and 7200rpm. 5400rpm is a nice mid-range if you need capacity. For your situation, I would suggest ordering a MacBook with the 120gb hard drive from Apple, and then building your own 2.5" portable hard drive using a 160gb 5400rpm ATA drive and a Macally ATA 2.5" Firewire/USB case. This way you don't have to lug a power adapter around with you because most 2.5" external hard drives can run off USB bus power. Links to those are here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817146604

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148073

You can get away with this a little cheaper if you use a 120gb 2.5" drive, since the 160gb drives currently command a premium. This will give you over 200 gigs of portable, on-the-go storage.

OP
T

tictak

Hey guys, thanks for the advice, this is exactly what i was looking for!

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.