• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Two more converts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Hehe, I've added two more to our numbers. Switched my brother and his wife today. He ordered a 15.4" MacBook Pro with the glossy screen and she picked up a white 2ghz MacBook. Anyone interested in buying a 17" Windows laptop? :D

They said that the glossy MBPs were special order, so we did that online, but we were able to pick up the MacBook right at the store. Very nice, but gets fingerprints really quick around the touchpad. Runs a little toasy on the bottom, but very quick. Hard drive is definately a limiting factor (5400rpm compared to the 7200rpm in my current laptop). It was fun to play with one in person out of the store. It's a very nice machine; I'm jealous! Still saving up for my black MacBook. I might have to do a big photoshoot after I pick mine up with the new family members ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
kaidomac said:
Anyone interested in buying a 17" Windows laptop? :D

No thanks, I already have three door stops at my house! But, congrats on the purchases, from another recent switcher.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
I recently got a MBP after years of wanting a Mac and am absolutely loving it. One quick question, where should I buy RAM and is it important to keep the two sticks in sync (ie. 2 1GB sticks, vs. just replacing one of the 256MB with a GB stick)?

M

MJGUK

Dillinger-63 said:
No thanks, I already have three door stops at my house!
Rofl! :p

Congrats on the purchases, hope your family enjoy their new Macs :mac:

L

Left Face Down

We just got my grandmother an iMac, which I'm currently on (waiting for the modem to get here for her house). I think it's impressed both my parents by now and guess what I'm currently doing!

Looking up info on a nice Rootkit that's infected my parents PC Desktop/working on fixing it. Must get into the stupid registery and delete a few things and it'll be fixed. :doctor:

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
karudzo said:
I recently got a MBP after years of wanting a Mac and am absolutely loving it. One quick question, where should I buy RAM and is it important to keep the two sticks in sync (ie. 2 1GB sticks, vs. just replacing one of the 256MB with a GB stick)?

On the MacBook Pro, it doesn't make a huge difference in the system itself. The MacBook relies on system ram for video memory, which is where it takes the hit if it's not matched. With ram prices so cheap right now, I'd suggest just going to 2 gigs and being done with it. $160 to $180 for 2 x 1gb sticks is an awesome price. Any of the ram listed here should work for the MacBook Pro:

http://www.wiredbynature.org/comp/mac/macbook/mods.php#Ram

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
iMacMan said:
Sure, I'll Take it!

Too late, he found a buyer, sorry! His wife has a 15.4" 2ghz Athlon for sale for $650 though. PM me if interested ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Congrats on the purchases. I'm a recent convert as well and am loving mine. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.