Questions about boot camp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
If you get a virus on your windows partition, will it affect the OSX partition?

If you get a virus on your windows partition, can you delete the windows partition and therefore delete the virus?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
I don't believe it would affect the operating system itself, but remember...the partition is still part of the same hard drive. So if you get a virus that wipes out your hard drive that means bye bye OSX too. I'd imagine that if the virus is contained and doesnt do anything but kill windows, then yes you could solve it by formatting the windows partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air
I always thought partitioning made it look like two completely separate disks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
How exactly would a virus created for Windows affect a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
D3v1L80Y said:
How exactly would a virus created for Windows affect a Mac?
if the mac were running windows, then a virus created for windows would affect it. thats how they work. they exploit aspects of the operating system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
jhelm007 said:
if the mac were running windows, then a virus created for windows would affect it. thats how they work. they exploit aspects of the operating system.
Okay... I should have been a little more specific. :black:
If a virus is designed for Windows, then that virus would only exploit and damage the Windows installation. It would have no bearing or affect on the Mac OS. So to answer the OP's question... no, it would not affect your Mac OS in any way.

Reaction score
I dont think the virus, if it were only designed for windows, would affect the mac part. It wouldn't be compatible.

T

Tim Quinn

What about a virus that attacks the HDD's boot sector. Wouldn't that render the hard drive useless no matter what the partitions?

Tim Quinn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
You know what I say about all this.. whenever you are using windows don't go on the internet, do not connect to your network, if you the internet then use safari, if you wanna download something for windows then get it through os x then transfer it onto windows, it is more wiser and will save you a lot of hassle and disk space by saving you getting such things and anti-spyware or anti-viruses.

I

iluvmac

Complex Question! Please Answer

If I have A windows, and I convert it to a Mac using the Tiger OS X system package, can I use boot camp to go back to windows? Does that make sense?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.