newbie browser question

P

peterbt

Upgraded my wife's imac to OS X from OS 9.0. Formerly, when Explorer was brought up, Remote Access would start,
and Explorer would seem to wait to find the home page until the dial-up connection was established. Now, when
either Explorer or Safari is started (with Internet Connect set to start automatically), the attempt by the browser to
find the home page times out before a connection is established -- "Server not Found". Is there a way to configure
the browsers to either wait for the connection to be established, or wait longer to time out?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i believe that is a feature of remote access that Internet Connect does not have. Your best bet is to probably have the connection automatically connect on start up, and that way once your desktop shows up, youll already be connected, and wont have the Server Not Found error. although this way, youll startup will take longer since it has to wait for your dialup to connect

OP
P

peterbt

MacAddikt said:
i believe that is a feature of remote access that Internet Connect does not have. Your best bet is to probably have the connection automatically connect on start up, and that way once your desktop shows up, youll already be connected, and wont have the Server Not Found error. although this way, youll startup will take longer since it has to wait for your dialup to connect

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. But, after picking up the phone a couple times and hearing modem
chatter, we'd probably go back to manually connecting first and then firing up a browser. Or maybe
we'll just break down and get DSL or cable like civilized people.

Thanks!

OP
C

CMBlechar

Couldn't help but laugh at that last comment, but agree thats the better way to go.

Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.