Can i have 10.2 and 10.4 installed on the one mac?

R

Rochey

Hey all,

i ran into a dilemma while trying to get xbox live working with my xbox and xbox 360. i used to go to 'network' 'sharing' and turn 'internet sharing' on. this all worked fine with MAC OS 10.2

However after installing 10.4 i cannot do it. i have fiddled for hours and cannot get it to work i have also noticed other users on this site having the same problem.

i think i can remember when i installed 10.4 it gave me an option as to whether i wanted to have 2 seperate folders so i could boot up in 10.2 or 10.4 or i could just overwrite 10.2 altogether, that being the option i chose thinking i would never want 10.2 again.

is there a way i can have 10.2 and 10.4 on the same mac? if so how would i go about doing it. i have both install sets of 10.2 and 10.4 and i am currently running 10.4.6

your help is much apprectatted. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I'm not a gamer so perhaps you could help me try to answer your question?

Internet sharing in 10.2 allowed you to receive internet on either your ethernet or airport interface and then use your mac as a router to share the connection to the other interface. The idea was to bring back the funtionality of the airport software in OS 9. I think Apple just wanted to sell more Base Stations. So they brought internet sharing back in 10.2 to smooth it over with the disgruntled mac users.

This can still be done in 10.4, however I've noticed a glitch when trying to share to my airport card. I have to click "Edit" and then "OK" in order for it to show up in the list.

If you are using the firewall feature you'll need to allow whichever port xbox uses.

So I ask,...What are you trying to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes, but you will be better off if they are on different disc partitions or different drives.

OP
R

Rochey

MacsWork said:
I'm not a gamer so perhaps you could help me try to answer your question?

Internet sharing in 10.2 allowed you to receive internet on either your ethernet or airport interface and then use your mac as a router to share the connection to the other interface. The idea was to bring back the funtionality of the airport software in OS 9. I think Apple just wanted to sell more Base Stations. So they brought internet sharing back in 10.2 to smooth it over with the disgruntled mac users.

This can still be done in 10.4, however I've noticed a glitch when trying to share to my airport card. I have to click "Edit" and then "OK" in order for it to show up in the list.

If you are using the firewall feature you'll need to allow whichever port xbox uses.

So I ask,...What are you trying to do?

run a crossover cable from ym eMac to my Xbox. i used to click internet sharing on and it worked fine. now it wont.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I don't know the xbox interface, but is there a way to verify ip address? Also, are you using the firewall? Have you tried a regular cat5e cable or using a switch or verified the xover is a good cable? How does your eMac get internet?

OP
R

Rochey

MacsWork said:
I don't know the xbox interface, but is there a way to verify ip address? Also, are you using the firewall? Have you tried a regular cat5e cable or using a switch or verified the xover is a good cable? How does your eMac get internet?

not using a firewall, it worked with the same cable im using before so i know its not that.

dont know about verifying the ip address as it is fixed. im about ready to give up, might have to use a ****ty pc in order for me to access live. only other option is to go back to 10.2 and i really dont wanna do that.

im using dial up internet. only go on live to play my friends and to download updates of games. new cars etc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.