A Call to all 30" cinema owners - video cards

F

Foxdog175

I purchased a 30" HD Cinema Display last night at the Apple store and the idiot behind the counter recommended that I purchase a Radeon 9800 Pro (256 meg) video card to support the screen. What he didn't tell me is that there are a select few video cards which will actually run the cinema at quality resolution (beyond 1280x800).

Before knowing what I know now, I went out and purchased a Radeon 9800 Pro only to find that it did NOT support high resolutions (as every person would want when they spend 2,500 for a display). I called so many retailers that I lost count and have talked with several Mac employees, both at various apple stores around here and at Apple Care (3 times). I'm frustrated to the bone after spending an entire day and getting absolutely nowhere.

To everyone who owns a 30" cinema display, what video card are you using to support the 2560x1600 resolution and where did you purchase this video card from? Right now, the only 4 cards I know that work properly are:

* ATI Radeon 9650
* ATI Radeon X850 XT
* NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL
* NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL

One of the retailers I called told me that both Nvidia cards were discontinued. Can anyone please confirm this? I'd also like assistance in finding an online retailer who will sell me one of these 4 cards.

Thank you VERY much in advance.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Check this URL. This card will install in a G4 or G5 Powermac and run the 30" at full resolution and probably is a bit less expensive than some out there.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2502

That is a review on the card. It's an ATI 9600 PC/Mac AGP card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.