Problems With Airport Express On PC

M

maria

I have a wireless network running on pc and ibook using an airport express base station. Around every two weeks the pc decides it cannot connect to the network and the only way around it is to reset the base station, set up the network again and it works again. Problem is I have to do this every two weeks and even worse the last time resetting it didn't work on the pc. It can't be the base station as it works ok on the ibook, but I'm now starting to wonder if the wireless card on the pc is at the end of it's life or something? I'm using a 4 year old netgear WG311 54Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter, 802.11g. I'm thinking of just buying a usb wireless adapter and seeing how it goes.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
How about getting an iMac and calling it good,....lol

Sounds like you found yourself a $30 possibility. I'd stay away from USB NIC's though. They are just as problematic. Great for peripherals, bad for networking.

OP
M

maria

MacsWork said:
How about getting an iMac and calling it good,....lol

Sounds like you found yourself a $30 possibility. I'd stay away from USB NIC's though. They are just as problematic. Great for peripherals, bad for networking.

I have another idea which might work. First of all the pc does not need to run wirelessly as it sits next to the modem and always will. What about hooking up the cable modem to a router (not wireless) and to that connect the airport express and also connect the pc to the router. I'm sure that i should have no problem with the internet that way, however the question is I need to share the printer so can I still do it? If I have the printer plugged into the airport as I do now, the ibook will be able to print but what about the pc? Will the pc detect that the printer is connected to the airport via bonjour? Another option is to get a router with a print server but I'm concerned that my printer won't work as I've read alot about certain printers not working, or them not being compatible with mac's. I'm very confused.

Ideas please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Does the printer have a USB and Parallel connection. If so,...

USB to AE
Parallel to LPT on PC

OP
S

SephirothsNight

maria said:
I have a wireless network running on pc and ibook using an airport express base station. Around every two weeks the pc decides it cannot connect to the network and the only way around it is to reset the base station, set up the network again and it works again. Problem is I have to do this every two weeks and even worse the last time resetting it didn't work on the pc. It can't be the base station as it works ok on the ibook, but I'm now starting to wonder if the wireless card on the pc is at the end of it's life or something? I'm using a 4 year old netgear WG311 54Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter, 802.11g. I'm thinking of just buying a usb wireless adapter and seeing how it goes.

Any ideas?

I was going to suggest if you want a USB wireless adapter, I've been using the Netgear WG111T. I've been using it on my PC for about a year now and have ZERO problems out of it. I also bridge that connection so that my Linux box can connect to the internet through it, and it works great. Just my 2 cents. Hopefully it helps.

OP
M

maria

MacsWork said:
Does the printer have a USB and Parallel connection. If so,...

USB to AE
Parallel to LPT on PC

MacsWork you are a genius!! It seems logical now but for some reason I always thought printers could work with either USB or Parallel. Anyway I tried what you said and it works!!!

Thank you

OP
M

maria

SephirothsNight said:
I was going to suggest if you want a USB wireless adapter, I've been using the Netgear WG111T. I've been using it on my PC for about a year now and have ZERO problems out of it. I also bridge that connection so that my Linux box can connect to the internet through it, and it works great. Just my 2 cents. Hopefully it helps.

SephirothsNight - Thanks for your input. Before I read your post I had solved my problem by giving up on the wireless. It's good to know if I change my mind and want to go wireless again though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.