What happened here? router question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 Powerbook, 1.33/1g/80g
well, I was currently working with my linksys router and did a software update.. after that, my airport was unable to connect to my linksys router but instead, airport pulled up a "Apple Network" (which was never there before).

my wife's PC is connected to it as well for it seems that we cannot connect to our linksys router.

anyone else ever have this problem? am I even using our router's signal or what? Has my powerbook somehow changed the name of our router? also.. it's not locked so it seems ANYONE can connect to it.. which is no good.

any help would be great, thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Well,...

I would start from sctrach. Return the router to its default settings, and remove the old settings from you prefered networks on the mac. The set it up from the beginning.

There may be a network in range called Apple Network but because your mac was set to automatically join the linksys it never told you it was there until your linksys wasn't.

And yes,...don't join unsecured wireless networks that you don't trust.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The thing I find most interesting is that it happened RIGHT after i did a software update.. that's what I find most interesting. I mean, that apple network "Apple Network 6f2c59" was never there until i did the software update.. it's like it somehow changed the name of my router?

is that possible?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I could unplug the power on my router and see if that causes me to loose a signal, if it does.. then that means that "apple network" is my linksys router.

right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There ya go,...good thinking.

Firmware updates to a linksys will not by any means substitute an SSID of Apple Network 6f2c59. You would have had to manually enter that. I assume the update wiped out your settings which is why your connection dropped. At that point your Airport card could not connect to the your linksys and started looking for anything else to connect to, hence Apple Network 6f2c59. Somewhere within 300 feet is an unsecured airport base station broadcasting its SSID.

Just reconfigure your router,...securely. :~)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
any reason as to why my wife wouldnt be able to connect to the linksys router either, when before my mac update it worked fine.. ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like I said,...it sounds like the update wiped out the settings in the router. If she was configured to connect just like the mac she would experience the same issue.

Reconfigure the router and the connections on all machines.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.