Network Setup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini G4
As with many others .. a dumb (ie simple to answer if you know which button to push ..) question ..

I have just got a mini, and it is hooked into my (otherwise) Windows based network. No problem setting up and it sees my shared directories on a Dell, and USB drives hung off that.

However, I am unable to see the Mac from the Windows network. Yes, it may be something I have not done on either end of things .. but .. .what do I do.

I have, i thought, shared things on the Mac .. clicked on file sharing and FTP sharing .. but still do not see it when i look on Microsoft Windows Network/Entire Network.

I can, however, pink the IP address of the Mac .. well, I know it is connecred anyway because it can see theother way round.

Appreciate that "starter" help on this.

Many tks
:eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Northness said:
As with many others .. a dumb (ie simple to answer if you know which button to push ..) question ..

I have just got a mini, and it is hooked into my (otherwise) Windows based network. No problem setting up and it sees my shared directories on a Dell, and USB drives hung off that.

However, I am unable to see the Mac from the Windows network. Yes, it may be something I have not done on either end of things .. but .. .what do I do.

I have, i thought, shared things on the Mac .. clicked on file sharing and FTP sharing .. but still do not see it when i look on Microsoft Windows Network/Entire Network.

I can, however, pink the IP address of the Mac .. well, I know it is connecred anyway because it can see theother way round.

Appreciate that "starter" help on this.

Many tks
:eek:neye:
Have you checked the Windows file sharing check box? It gives you an address to plug into the network wizard on Windows. Also make sure you push the enable accounts button in the Sharing preferences and choose an account.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini G4
IronMac said:
Have you checked the Windows file sharing check box? It gives you an address to plug into the network wizard on Windows. Also make sure you push the enable accounts button in the Sharing preferences and choose an account.

Well, I found a good guide after posting forst note.

I added a new account, to which i also gave admin rights, clicked Personal File Sharing, Windows Sharing (and FTP access for good measure).

Success ... i could connect to my new account.

BUT

All it seems i could connect to was files in that account, not on the master (administrator) account.

Nor could i connect from PC to the master account

Nor could i see a USB drive connected to the Mac.

I tried removing the new account and connecting the master (and now, only) account. Nope.

Create a new user account again. All shared.

But now cannot see the new account.

Try to Connect ...

In Windows>Run>\\IP Address\Mac.local (Mac is the name the Mac is set to ...)

Brings up a dialog box that says "Connecting to [IP Address]" and wants log in.

So, I type in the name of the new user account, and password.

The User Name dialog box comes back with "X-Ys\{New Account Name]" and my password ... but will not let me on.

Man .. all i ever hear is how intuitive Macs are .. but this is a REAL pain setting this up.

I am sure it is a simple fix, but this simple mind has not worked out yet which simple button to push ....

More help appreciated ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Northness said:
Well, I found a good guide after posting forst note.

I added a new account, to which i also gave admin rights, clicked Personal File Sharing, Windows Sharing (and FTP access for good measure).

Success ... i could connect to my new account.

BUT

All it seems i could connect to was files in that account, not on the master (administrator) account.

Nor could i connect from PC to the master account

Nor could i see a USB drive connected to the Mac.

I tried removing the new account and connecting the master (and now, only) account. Nope.

Create a new user account again. All shared.

But now cannot see the new account.

Try to Connect ...

In Windows>Run>\\IP Address\Mac.local (Mac is the name the Mac is set to ...)

Brings up a dialog box that says "Connecting to [IP Address]" and wants log in.

So, I type in the name of the new user account, and password.

The User Name dialog box comes back with "X-Ys\{New Account Name]" and my password ... but will not let me on.

Man .. all i ever hear is how intuitive Macs are .. but this is a REAL pain setting this up.

I am sure it is a simple fix, but this simple mind has not worked out yet which simple button to push ....

More help appreciated ...
I feel your pain it took me a while to get this running too. It is not completely an OS X issue because your Mac can see XP just fine. It's XP that needs to be configured correctly. Its not difficult.

First make sure you are in the same Workgroup. You can change your Macs Workgroup with Directory Access, its in the Utilities folder. Directory Access>Services>SMB/CIFS> Configure.

Next, run the Add a Network Place wizard. Enter \\Computer Name\User Name. You should now be prompted for the User Name and Password, enter them as you would on OS X. Whoola, now you can navigate to you Mac in Network Places or just type the address.
Note: OS X tells you to put the IP but that never worked for me. Also the Computer Name is changeable in the Sharing Preference Pane.

This is going to give you complete access to the specified users entire home folder. If you dont want that, Sharepoints looks promising. I'm still tinkering with it tho.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini G4
Moving On ...

well, i have now got the computers to talk .. but cannot see the USB drive (or even my Ipod on Fireweire) hung off the Mac (tho can see USB drive on XP machine from Mac) ...

.. any ideas what sort of cloaking device is being used ???

Tks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Northness said:
well, i have now got the computers to talk .. but cannot see the USB drive (or even my Ipod on Fireweire) hung off the Mac (tho can see USB drive on XP machine from Mac) ...

.. any ideas what sort of cloaking device is being used ???

Tks
Again... Sharepoints...

K

komo

IronMac said:
Again... Sharepoints...

after i have read this thread, i installed Sharepoints and found it quite useful. but i still can't find a way to create a "share-level" shared folders. i've set up SMB properties and set some "normal" shares on the Sharepoints, but everytime windows users wants to browse my mac, they're still prompted for accounts and passwords

is it really possible to set a "share-level" sharing on mac??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
komo said:
after i have read this thread, i installed Sharepoints and found it quite useful. but i still can't find a way to create a "share-level" shared folders. i've set up SMB properties and set some "normal" shares on the Sharepoints, but everytime windows users wants to browse my mac, they're still prompted for accounts and passwords

is it really possible to set a "share-level" sharing on mac??

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by ''Share-level," but my setup doesn't ask for passwords. Maybe you can post screen shots of your Sharepoints and we can compare. Here are mine...

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Picture 3.png

K

komo

IronMac said:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by ''Share-level," but my setup doesn't ask for passwords. Maybe you can post screen shots of your Sharepoints and we can compare. Here are mine...

hmmm... i think my version of Sharepoints is different from yours, 'cause at first I couldn't find the "Allow Window Guests" on my Sharepoints. but, it finally showed up after i've click the "Show System Pref." checkbox.

so, the problem now is 100% fixed. Thanks a lot!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.