iPod Linux

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
anyone else running ipod linux? so far i got it and i'm running doom, halflife, duke nukem and final fantasy 3....transfering some vidoe from my PC bc it doesn't work on the mac right now! does anyone else have linux on their ipod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
My cousin has it on his iPod Video. I had it on mine, but took it off. Cool thing is that he has been showing it off in school and has been adding it to other people's iPod for a small fee. Lol. If you're interested in iPod Linux, look into RockBox. It's pretty cool too. If you get the loader, you can have Linux and RockBox installed. When you reboot your iPod, it will ask you which OS you want to boot into, Apple, Linux, or RockBox. Don't remember where you get the loader, but if you want, I can ask my cuz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
I've had it for over a year now on my 3rd Gen ipod. I have doom and a video of Jimi Hendrix playing Fire at Woodstock on it. And I just discovered today that my left earbud can be used as a microphone with the recording app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
macAttack said:
anyone else running ipod linux? so far i got it and i'm running doom, halflife, duke nukem and final fantasy 3....transfering some vidoe from my PC bc it doesn't work on the mac right now! does anyone else have linux on their ipod?

YOU ARE RUNNING HL!?!?!? ?!? dsfjgasdjlkashdg
How did you do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Does anyone know if the 5th gen can record with the line out? Because I'd like to record a concert of my friends' band (they asked me to do it) and I don't want to open my 3rd gen iPod unless I have to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
to_tough_to_die said:
Does anyone know if the 5th gen can record with the line out? Because I'd like to record a concert of my friends' band (they asked me to do it) and I don't want to open my 3rd gen iPod unless I have to.

I'm pretty sure only a 3rd gen ipod will work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Dahhh, pardon me for being honestly unenlightened, but why would you WANT to run Linux on an iPod? I am a BIG Linux fan and maintain a full time Linux computer along side my Mac, so I am not just a Linux-illiterate. What can you get from Linux on a Pod? Perhaps I could be interested - I have two iPods, a Nano and a 5G video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
If you had it on a nano could you watch videos in colour on it? I know you would say "why?" but I only wanna see if it is possible (even if the screen is tiny)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac57 said:
Dahhh, pardon me for being honestly unenlightened, but why would you WANT to run Linux on an iPod? I am a BIG Linux fan and maintain a full time Linux computer along side my Mac, so I am not just a Linux-illiterate. What can you get from Linux on a Pod? Perhaps I could be interested - I have two iPods, a Nano and a 5G video.

Extra games, apps, recording, video on non-video ipods, etc.

OP
macAttack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
how to get games otehr than doom on the ipod,

http://ipodlinux.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6118

for the question about why you would want it, its just an alternative...have a look around at the website, ipodlinux.org its pretty sweet, it adds video to my photo and i can keep entertained with these games..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I installed the version from ipodlinux.org and it comes up with no colour.

OP
macAttack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
what do you mean? what comes up with no color?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apparently video playback should be in colour but it's not!

OP
macAttack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
well how did you convert it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
johninc said:
I'm pretty sure only a 3rd gen ipod will work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macAttack said:
well how did you convert it?

I downloaded some third party convertor and converted them to avi.

Although I have now found out that i need to change the appearance and settings for the backlight which now means it works.. yay

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.