battery question on my 2005 G4 Powerbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 Powerbook, 1.33/1g/80g
well, i just picked up a 17" 2005 G4 Powerbook off of a friend of mine, and have noticed that while charging it doesnt seem to want to go over 79%.. now, before i updated teh software it seemed to have been charging fine but now it doesnt seem to want to go over 79%.. also, the green LEDs on the battery itself were constantly on.. now when i press the button on the battery they light up. How did i have those constantly staying on?

Also, it appears that it's still charging because on teh charger the indicator light is orange, not green.

any help would be great. Thanks.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also, could it be that the battery is too hot? it has been sitting in my lap for the past couple of hours while charging.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i also noticed that the light on the charger goes from orange to green when i close the computer(sleep) but when i open it back up it goes to orange.. also, what's the diff. between the plug inside the battery and the lightning bolt? why does it alternate between the two?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook - 15" (last ppc), iMac 20" w/ intel, iPod 5G
plug inside the battery means its plugged in and fully charged. lightning bolt means it's charging. you should calibrate your battery. do a google search for how to do it exactly, but basically you need to fully charge the battery (as much as you can.. leave it charging overnight or whatever), unplug it, use it until the battery goes dead, leave it alone for 5 hours, and then plug it in and let it fully charge again. the battery should go to 100% then.

you could also try to download coconut battery to see if your battery is screwy. it'll let you know how much it has depreciated in its charge capacity. do a google search for the program.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i see, thank you.

basically what it's doing is reading that it's at 71% with the plug inside the battery (fully charged i guess?) but every so often it'll skip over to the lightning bolt.. it has gone from 68% to 71% though.. i left it on the charger all night.

Also, if it's fully charged why would the charger be glowing orange? shouldnt it be green?

would a new batter fix this problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.