Confused! (stupid internet & ethernet cable)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
Ok so I don't have a wireless router but I just got my internet turned on. So I figure I can just pop the ethernet cable into my computer. Yea well that doesn't yield any kind of positive results. So I don't know what's up. Still a Mac noob so if I have to turn off my wireless to turn on something else I'm clueless.

'ppreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2GHz 250 GB 2 GB RAM 256 MB VRAM, 80 GB 5.5G iPod, 8 GB iPhone
Turning off your wireless will most likely help if you are plugging in via Ethernet. To turn it off, on your top menu bar you'll see a radar icon, and you'll see the option to turn off AirPort.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The system will default to ethernet, even if you have wireless, if you have an ethernet cable plugged in, so you shouldn't need to turn wireless off. When you look in the Network control panel, what does it show?

OP
Mace
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
I see a green light beside airport
nothing else

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the Prefs pane GO:

NETWORK > SHOW > NETWORK PORT CONFIGURATION

and make sure Ethernet is checked. If it is, then either there is no signal coming from ethernet on the cable, or you port is jacked up somehow. If you have a green light next to Airport it thinks you are connected to the internet via Airport.

OP
Mace
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
ok well everything is checked. And the internet isn't the problem b/c my girlfriend hooked up her thinkpad.

OP
Mace
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
I assume it's not recognizing the modem.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If the thinkpad works then your mac should work. UNLESS, your internet looks at the MAC address which is the Machine address. Is this DSL or Cable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, let me see if I have this right:

You have a high-speed modem (Cable, DSL or something) hooked up and you have an ethernet cable that runs from it to your Mac, correct?

How is your Mac configured to connect via the ethernet cable? Do you have a static or dynamic IP?

Tell us more about the setup you have for internet access...

OP
Mace
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
got it working, just ran help in the finder, turned everything off turned it back on a viola. good to go. Now time to buy a wireless router. lol
Thanks for all the help I feel like a total spaz having to ask questions like this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.