5400 vs. 7200 on 17" MBP?

N

NoShow

I'm doing a custom order from apple. Same price for these 2 options.

1. Can one see a notible improvement in system performance with the 7200?
2. If there is system performance improvement, does that come at the cost of:
a) heat?
b) noise?
c) batter life?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
London, Germany, USA, France, Holland, Belgium, Ca
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list but have the latest to oldest macs.
NoShow said:
I'm doing a custom order from apple. Same price for these 2 options.

1. Can one see a notible improvement in system performance with the 7200?
2. If there is system performance improvement, does that come at the cost of:
a) heat?
b) noise?
c) batter life?

Thanks in advance.

With the 7200rpm drive I notice a slight bit of differance more when I am playing games of the HDD i.e fear on the boot camp.

Noise is hardly noticeable, unless you are in a really exceptionaly quiet room.

Battery life I have hardly noticed any hits, I have 2 15" MBP's my wifes ahs the 5400 drive and mine a 7200rpm drive. She wanted storage I wanted speed. Both are teh same 2.16/2 gigs ram just hdd, I get about 3 hrs battery life out of both but this varies on our usage.

I will soon have another 17" mbp with glossy and 2 new 15" MBP's with gloss screens. I will compare all 6 and let you know.

OP
N

NoShow

apple_power said:
With the 7200rpm drive I notice a slight bit of differance more when I am playing games of the HDD i.e fear on the boot camp.

Noise is hardly noticeable, unless you are in a really exceptionaly quiet room.

Battery life I have hardly noticed any hits, I have 2 15" MBP's my wifes ahs the 5400 drive and mine a 7200rpm drive. She wanted storage I wanted speed. Both are teh same 2.16/2 gigs ram just hdd, I get about 3 hrs battery life out of both but this varies on our usage.

I will soon have another 17" mbp with glossy and 2 new 15" MBP's with gloss screens. I will compare all 6 and let you know.

Thanks for the feedback... much appreciated.

6 MBPs!!!! LOL!!!! That's wicked. No plain old MacBooks???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NoShow said:
Thanks for the feedback... much appreciated.

6 MBPs!!!! LOL!!!! That's wicked. No plain old MacBooks???

Well actually I do have two on order, (blacjd and white) but as this is macbook pro section, Did not feel worth mentioning.

But thanks for asking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
Some people just have money they can throw away...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
makwanad said:
Some people just have money they can throw away...

Well, yyou cant die with the stuff, so why not spend it? Once you have everything you need, the rest is spending money.

OP
L

lil

Seems fair enough :) I don't have much financially, well technically I have nothing as my debts outweight my economic assets. But the main thing is so long as you are happy, no one can take that away :flower: Indeed, money cannot be taken to the afterlife or whatever you believe, so you may as well just enjoy it.

:flower:

Of course I am always attentive to anyone who feels like buying me a Mac Mini Core Duo!! :D

Vicky

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I find it interesting that when a person can not afford something the person that can is always wasting money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lil said:
Seems fair enough :) I don't have much financially, well technically I have nothing as my debts outweight my economic assets. But the main thing is so long as you are happy, no one can take that away :flower: Indeed, money cannot be taken to the afterlife or whatever you believe, so you may as well just enjoy it.

:flower:

Of course I am always attentive to anyone who feels like buying me a Mac Mini Core Duo!! :D

Vicky

Why do you not start up a fund? I am lucky in that my parents were very sucessful and left me enough, to do what I please. The only thing is money still does not speed up orders well not much anyway. :cool:

I managed to jump the waiting list for my new car by paying cash up front. I know not relevant but so exciting. I am off to to New York in the morning for a shoping trip. Might just pick upa few things I am waiting for. And oh yes must vist Tiffanys. Or better half will kick my *** :closed:

OP
L

lil

hehe... Well I am getting myself out of debt first a foremost having finished my studies at Uni over a year ago.

Secondly, I'm just working very hard, knuckling down and also playing hard in my job, operations manager, and one day I will take over the running of business fully etc., and maybe then my time will come!

All I'll say is that I have ambition and high expectation of myself, not least to provide for my parents after all they have done for me :flower:

Then when things are on the up-swing, I might just get the Mac Mini, I just would like a little Intel Mac-box.

But then shopping in New York, well—having spent a wonderful afternoon last year walking up and down the beautiful sights and sounds of Chicago's Magnificent Mile—I'm sure I could quite handle that :)

Meanwhile, back to earth, here in Lancing, England... hehehe
Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buying One Soon...
I have the 7200 in my 17" and love it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.