Dead pixel?!

M

MarteDVX

Well despite the heat / whine issues, I came across a dead pixel on my second day owning my MBP. Ugh, now I have to take it back to the Apple store and I am assuming they will just replace it. I was hoping for the money I saved up for and paid with was not going to give me any problems when purchasing this computer. I love this thing to death, but I just wish I didn't have to deal with this. I don't even know what they will do with this dead pixel, I am just assuming they will replace the MBP with a new one? Anyone know or have had dead pixel problems and returning it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5 + 20" Apple Cinema Display
If its just one, no way will they replace it!

OP
M

MarteDVX

It is a red pixel. Are you kidding me, they won't replace it even if its one? That is rediculous if they don't replace it. I didn't pay this much of my money to have a dead pixel, if thats the deal, I am going to be very agrivated.

OP
M

MarteDVX

I just talked with an Apple Care rep and he said to bring it back to the store I got it. They should either fix it or replace it, and he said 9/10 they are likely to just hand me a new computer. I hope he is right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
They are not going to replace a system for only one stuck pixel, (if its colored red then its not dead, just stuck). And seeing as there are thousands of pixels on a screen, it would be ludicrous to not expect at least one to get stuck or die out.

OP
D

dthorn

D3v1L80Y said:
They are not going to replace a system for only one stuck pixel, (if its colored red then its not dead, just stuck). And seeing as there are thousands of pixels on a screen, it would be ludicrous to not expect at least one to get stuck or die out.

Considering they found it on their second day of owning the machine, it's absolutely not ludicrous to assume that their screen should not have any dead or stuck pixels.

If were were talking several months or years, that would be different, but we're not. We're talking about two days.

Reaction score
I don't know how it works for laptops but I know for most TFT screens you can buy that you have to risk a certain number of dead/stuck pixels. Different companies have different guidelines on what constitues enough to get it replaces (like so many pixels in a certain area). If all screens had to be be perfect then the companies would have to check the screens more and throw a lot more away, this would make tft screens a lot more expensive.

There are some ranges of screens from certain companies that have a zero-pixel policy though and you pay a premium for them. This is talking about different companies and larger screens though, laptops are a bit different.

I'll be interested how you get on, let us know.

OP
M

MarteDVX

Buying a new machine, and after only 2 days, I would expect it to at least start out somewhat perfect. Why would I pay over 2 grand and have a dead or "stuck" pixel on the middle of my screen forever? That just seems ludacris. Also, why would Apple Care tell me they will fix / replace it and you say they won't? I have confidence in Apple and will assume if they can't fix it, they will replace it with a new machine. I just seriously think it would be out of this world for someone to spend that kind of money and have a problem such as a dead pixel and not have any fix for it, especially after owning it for only 2 days. And considering money doesn't come easy for me, I saved for quite some time, and I need it for school and also heavy editing. I expect my moneys worth and expect nothing but the best from Apple. Well, I am going down to the Apple store on Monday, I will inform you all on how things turn out. Wish me luck! :black:

OP
M

MarteDVX

Well I took back my MBP to the Apple Store. I went in and I told the guy I had a dead pixel and he tells me that there might not be anything they can do. So he says he'll be right back, he goes and does a test on the MBP and comes back. He tells me there is nothing they can do and they don't classify one dead pixel as anything to replace. I keep wondering how they could sell me a machine with a dead pixel in the middle of the screen and have me be on my way without any help. He then tells me that I could pay a 10% restocking fee and return it. I just kinda laughed and said are you kidding me? He went and got another Apple employee and they came over and started to explain their policy. I basically said to them " How is it that you can sell someone a new computer that cost over $2,000 with a problem such as a dead pixel and do nothing about it? I find that totally rediculous " I basically argued with them for about 10-15 mins until they finally agree to take care of me. They agree to give me a replacement. I had them open it up and let me start it up in the store to make sure everything was ok. It looked good so I packed up the new MBP and im out of there. I was happy that I stood my ground, and thought it was kind of funny how they were totally against doing anything about it until I showed I wasn't going to budge on this rediculousness. I am happy I got the MBP replaced, but I was a little unhappy how they handled the situation by making me get all agrivated. Oh well, I am happy with my new MBP and no dead pixels. It is still pretty **** hot, but with no dead pixel I am happy, just not as pleased with some of the Apple employees as much as I thought I would be.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Every computer manufacturer has policies on LCD screen and pixels, similar to the one posted by Padawan. Apple does not have to replace your system, due to one pixel. You just got lucky that day. Why do you think LCD televisions cost so much. To ensure that there are no dead pixels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
rman said:
Why do you think LCD televisions cost so much. To ensure that there are no dead pixels.
Right. And even then, you really can't guarantee 100% that there won't be a dead or stuck pixel on the screen. Such is the technology of LCD screens.

Reaction score
I had 3 dead ones on one of the iMacG5's they replaced the screen (it was 5 months old) but I bought Applecare 3 year plan.............best $169.00 I ever spent so far!

OP
M

MJGUK

Well frankly, personally I wouldn't care about any such 'pixel policy' which does not affect my UK Statutory Rights.

When I purchase a product, anything.....when I 'buy' something it is the legal responsibility of the seller/business to provide me with the product exactly as it was described and detailed in the product description.
If someone sells me a defective product, in any way at all.....I am entitled to a replacement or a full refund by UK Law. How it works in the states, I couldn't say.
But one must remember that whilst any business is perfectly entitled to post such articles, this does not guarentee that it affects your statutory rights, in any way at all.
In the UK our Statutory Rights on this matter are defined by The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (and subsequent amendments).

If some people want to be misguided by such policy, that is their right - However I would demand a replacement and succeed.
Clearly by the fact that you pushed the issue, they were forced to comply.

Don't expect low standards and don't let businesses push you around, you always have your rights :)

OP
M

MarteDVX

Exactly. When it boils right down to it, policy or no policy, it is just plain rediculous. I am not going to spend $2200 and be stuck with even 1 dead pixel in the center of my screen, thats just horrible. Plus in almost any company, the customer always usually get what they want if they push hard enough.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
That is not a true statement. The customer does not get what they want if they push hard enough. Remember it is at the store manager's discretion, how a given situation is handle, that include calling security if need be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
MarteDVX said:
Exactly. When it boils right down to it, policy or no policy, it is just plain rediculous. I am not going to spend $2200 and be stuck with even 1 dead pixel in the center of my screen, thats just horrible. Plus in almost any company, the customer always usually get what they want if they push hard enough.

To get what you want in a bureaucracy you must move higher up the chain - go to regional or area managers or higher. The store manager can only do so much. Find someone with more authority.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.