Powerbook won't work when put back together.

A

arimattson

:doctor: I have a 12" Powerbook, 1st Generation. I recently did a swap to a 60GB Seagate drive when my original 40GB died. Well, I took the case apart, installed the drive and now when I put it back together with all the screws, it shorts out or something. Right now, I just have it running with the 2 screws above the keyboard next to the display. So, I figured the first time I just put a screw in the wrong place, so I took it all apart and back together again, it worked for about 10 minutes before it did the samething again. It's either crunching something, or a screw is touching a connection. Basically it makes a noise near the fan or subwoofer (center speaker), a ticking sound. I hear the hard drive spin, but as soon as I remove all the screws, it's perfect! What should I do?

OP
A

arimattson

One more thing is that I also get the flashing "? Folder" before it boots.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook - 15" (last ppc), iMac 20" w/ intel, iPod 5G
i have no idea, but all i know is that i've seen A LOT of people fry their notebooks via the "i'm taking it apart myself" route. be careful, dude.

OP
G

ghost_03

arimattson said:
:doctor: I have a 12" Powerbook, 1st Generation. I recently did a swap to a 60GB Seagate drive when my original 40GB died. Well, I took the case apart, installed the drive and now when I put it back together with all the screws, it shorts out or something. Right now, I just have it running with the 2 screws above the keyboard next to the display. So, I figured the first time I just put a screw in the wrong place, so I took it all apart and back together again, it worked for about 10 minutes before it did the samething again. It's either crunching something, or a screw is touching a connection. Basically it makes a noise near the fan or subwoofer (center speaker), a ticking sound. I hear the hard drive spin, but as soon as I remove all the screws, it's perfect! What should I do?

There are a lot of different types of screws, some within a quarter of a milimeter or each other. I think you've probably put a screw that's too long somewhere, either causing a short or stopping the CPU fan from spinning or something. Try putting screws in one by one until you can isolate which one is causing it, and then try a shorter length screw. The fact that it works without screws is promising, though.

I resembled mine and was shocked to find the slot drive no longer able to accept CDs. Turned out I had half a milimeter too long of a screw on the right edge.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.