Can't transfer to external LACIE

J

Jasonmc99

Hi all,

Wondering if someone could help with an issue with my MacBook pro. I have an external LACIE 250gb drive that I have been using for a year or so on PC. When i connect it to my new MacBook there are no problems recognising it or transfering files from the LACIE to my Mac....however, when I went to transfer a .mov today (From the Mac to the LACIE) it came up with an error that the file couldn't be copied because the external can't be modified!!!!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Most likely your disk is NTFS formatted. Mac OS X can only read from it and not write to it. You will need to reformat your disk using fat32. To be able to read and write to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
rman's probably right. View this thread for more info and instructions on how to format an external drive.

OP
J

Jasonmc99

rman said:
Most likely your disk is NTFS formatted. Mac OS X can only read from it and not write to it. You will need to reformat your disk using fat32. To be able to read and write to it.

Cheers....thanks heaps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.