Got my MBP today, few questions.

M

MarteDVX

Hey everyone, I finally just got my MBP 2.0 ghz 2 gig ram today! I am in love with it so much! I notice no heat issues or whining so far. I am utterly amazed with this machine. I am so glad I made the switch and I will NEVER go back to pc ever. No matter if I have all the problems in the world with this mac, its just worth all the problems anyway, its that good. I have a few probly "simple" questions being I am a switcher:

-How do I find updates, as I am sure there are updates I need to do?

-How do I enable the click on the trackpad instead of just using the trackpad button.

-What exactly is Bonjour? I enabled it and I run it through AIM? I am using it now but I dont exactly understand it.

Sorry if these questions are easy to find answers to in the forums, just thought I would ask them in here while announcing my awesome purcahase! Thanks to all that can help me. I love this machine!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
1) to find the updates, click the blue apple and click software update
2) go to system preferences (located in the dock or at the blue apple), click keyboard and mouse, click the tab trackpad, and check clicking in the gestures.
3) bonjour is a networking type program, it allows instant messaging and chat (video?) though your network to allow you to talk to someone without an AIM account. It only works with those on your network with bonjour. it is not aim.

does that clear up anything?

OP
M

MarteDVX

Great thanks a lot! With bonjour, I can IM anyone on my aim buddy list though right? Because I am talking to a few people right now through bonjour on my AIM account. I am basically on AIM through bonjour if that makes any sense.

Thanks a lot for your quck response to the questions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well you can have Bonjour and AIM working at the same time, its just they are separate yet on the same program. So if your talking to some and its not on your network, i don't think your using bonjour.

OP
M

MarteDVX

I'm not sure, it says im not signed on aim, and on the top it says Bonjour, but i'm not sure.

I've also begun to notice some heat now that i've been on for a while. A lot of the heat seams to be on the left side of the keyboard and near the speakers. It is quite hot on the bottom also. Has there been a set fix for this heat issue at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm curious (graphite would get that joke..............................................................................................................) as to what it looks like, make a screen show (apple + shift + 3) and post it on the boards.

No clue about the heat.

OP
M

MACDRIVE

MarteDVX said:
I've also begun to notice some heat now that i've been on for a while. A lot of the heat seams to be on the left side of the keyboard and near the speakers. It is quite hot on the bottom also. Has there been a set fix for this heat issue at all?
The early MacBooks do have over heat issues. There has been firmware issued through updates; but it doesn't always fix the problem. I would say that if the heat is too hot to touch, return it for a replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
iWonder said:
I'm curious (graphite would get that joke..............................................................................................................) as to what it looks like, make a screen show (apple + shift + 3) and post it on the boards.

No clue about the heat.

ha you silly lil iwonder :biohazard

the new books do run a little more warm than the predecessors, but if you think its really really too hot, yeah take it to the applestore centers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
I got my MBP last night and haven't had any heat issues at all. It's running great! Wish that i could right click like the Macbooks though!

OP
I

iRizzo

Get a Logitech wireless bluetooth mouse. It has right click, a scroll wheel, and it matches the MBP perfectly. It uses Bluetooth so it doesn't take up a USB port. I love it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.