strange startup

Reaction score
my hard drive was toast about two weeks ago, it wouldn't start up. so i sent it off to apple and they replaced the hard drive. since i got it back its warranty has lapsed, so applecare won't help me without charging me, yet it came back to me this way!

the best way to describe it (and i'm sorry i have to use a pc reference) is that it looks DOSish to me. it takes quite a while to start up, and instead of the happy little apple logo, i get the apple logo for a moment, the screen flashes to black, and i get to watch white type programming startup nonsense. it eventually starts and works fine, it's just disconcerting because it's never done that before. and it takes forever.

any suggestions?

thank you kindly..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Is the hard drive what you sent apple, or did you send the whole computer?

Sounds like Verbose mode is being forced by using the command,...

sudo /usr/sbin/nvram boot-args="-v"

try this command in the terminal,...

sudo /usr/sbin/nvram boot-args=""

You'll be asked for your password.

This should remove the force verbose setting. Verbose login will show the boot process, and to the trained eye provide usefull troubleshooting info.

OP
R
Reaction score
now what?

you guys rock! i opened the terminal application, put in the command, and it asked for my password. *BUT* i can't type anything. the cursor won't even move. dang! i'm so close...

thank you thank you thank you in advance!

OP
R
Reaction score
never mind. i'm a moron. cursor wasn't moving, but it was taking my password.

Seriously, thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.