How to make applications run without sticking them in the applications folder

A

andrew.glesener

how to make applications run without sticking them in the applications folder. My computer is locked so i cant modify the applications folder. ** do i make it so i can run apps without putting them there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Applications will run from any folder.

OP
A

andrew.glesener

Well i just got Skype for mac and it doesnt run. it bounces once and goes away. It says to drag it to applications folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 iBook
andrew.glesener said:
My computer is locked so i cant modify the applications folder.
What do you mean? Have you played with the folder permissions?

Found this hard to believe, so tried it.. Skype ran from other locations than the 'Applications' folder for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
Tried it with skype too. Ran fine from both the desktop and an external hard drive (figured that would be the ultimate test)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
TBoblp said:
Tried it with skype too. Ran fine from both the desktop and an external hard drive (figured that would be the ultimate test)
You actually have to drag it from its expanded (mounted) dmg image "folder" to "somewhere", but that "somewhere" can be anywhere. You can't just open the DMG though and run it from there since technically it isn't installed anywhere at that point. You could drag it to the desktop, to the documents folder, etc and then drag the icon to the dock, but you cant leave it in the dmg file and drag the icon to the dock and run it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
andrew.glesener said:
What versions of OSx do you have?

10.4.6 (Tiger)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well...yea, i have OSX 10 too. There are different versions. Click on the apple in the top left and then About This Mac and youll get your exact version

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
by locked do you mean you do not know the administrator password? Some programs simply will not run without being "installed" and in order to install them you must have the admin password. That's the beauty of OSX in that viruses and such cannot simply install themselves without being logged on as admin., as well as like in my case if you have a bunch of computers in a school environment no-one can clutter them up by installing things unless they know the password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.