Mac Mini Shutdown problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I have connected my Intel MacMini and the PC to a SynMaster display using a OmniView™ ENTERPRISE Series Dual-Port KVM Cable. With that I can easily switch between two computers. It wasn't a problem setting it up except the fact that the Mini never shuts down completely. When I press shutdown it does go through the shutdown process. Even the small LED in the front goes off. But when I touch the back I feel that the fan is running(Hot air is comming out). If I want to start the Mini again, I have to unplug the power cable and then plug it in again. Have you got an idea what I am doing wrong here?

By the way the PC shuts down just normal.

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
The fan sometimes stays on from times to times if its in Hybernation or the processor is really warm.

Try this:
1. Shut down the MAC completly without touching the KVM. after its off Switch over to the other Computer
2. plug everything directly to the MAC just to shut down
3. Hold the button on the back to shut down if you really want it off.

----

I never shut mine down becuase theres no since. Unless i leave it for a few weeks then ill turn it off. or when i reboot for updates.
But just keep it on. ITs not like a PC where u need to always reboot and stuff.

OP
novicew
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Hi maz94protege,

Thank you for the tip. In fact I have found a different solution that worked with the Mini. I have basically reset the parameter RAM (PRAM) buy holding down Command + Option + P + R during the start-up(before the grey screen appears). After it rebooted thing started working fine.

If you want to know what "PRAM reset" does, click on this link.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.