Sold my iBook, so now what Macbook to get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini @ 1.5Ghz, 1GB ram, 12.1" ibook 1.33Ghz 1GB ram
right well i sold my 12" ibook, 60GB HD, 1GB ram for £600!! so now i have the choice of what Macbook to get, i have rulled out the black one becasue as nice as it looks, it looks too much like a pee cee laptop for me.

so is there much difference between the 1.83Ghz and 2.0Ghz model? and is it worth getting the ram upgraded?

also has anyone got one yet with a dead pixel or any other physical problems yet

B

bowadoyle

Memory is more important the processer speed. Go with the 1.83ghz and upgrade the memory. The difference between 1.83ghz and 2.0ghz is not as great as 512mb and 1gb of ram.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chuckalicious said:
No offence but what fool bought a 12" iBook for £600??? The new MacBooks are only £149 more!!!!

a person i know on a forum, its only 2 months old! and its only going to cost me £43 more with a student discount

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
chuckalicious said:
No offence but what fool bought a 12" iBook for £600??? The new MacBooks are only £149 more!!!!
Hehe... I bet we see a post in a few days - "Just bought 12 inch iBook - have i made a mistake?"

Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
Hehe... I bet we see a post in a few days - "Just bought 12 inch iBook - have i made a mistake?"

Poor sod :)

Mind you, can I really criticise? I bought a 14" G4 brand new in November :( Really can't justify a new one just yet

B

bowadoyle

I just purchased someones ibook for $899 which I know is not much cheaper then the macbook; BUT

BUT ----

it also included 1gb of ram!
The AppleCare extented warrantry.

I think it was a pretty good deal.

The new intel machines are not without having any problems. I know I have the Mac mini intel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
pscl227 said:
right well i sold my 12" ibook, 60GB HD, 1GB ram for £600!! so now i have the choice of what Macbook to get, i have rulled out the black one becasue as nice as it looks, it looks too much like a pee cee laptop for me.

so is there much difference between the 1.83Ghz and 2.0Ghz model? and is it worth getting the ram upgraded?

also has anyone got one yet with a dead pixel or any other physical problems yet

The 2.0 Macbook has a Superdrive (DVD and CD Read and Write), while the 1.83 has a combo drive (DVD and CD Read / CD Write).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
I ordered my macbook over the phone with apple.
The middle range £899 model, but apple (being great) gave me a £35 discount as i'm under 18, and they upgraded the hdd to 80GB and gave me a neoprene case thingy for free :D

Total price: £864....

Alex

Reaction score
alexmaccoll said:
I ordered my macbook over the phone with apple.
The middle range £899 model, but apple (being great) gave me a £35 discount as i'm under 18, and they upgraded the hdd to 80GB and gave me a neoprene case thingy for free :D

Total price: £864....

Alex
So if your under 18 then you can get a discount?

Also, as of what i'm reading, there isn't much of a difference between the 1.83 and the 2.0?

The 2.0 Macbook has a Superdrive (DVD and CD Read and Write), while the 1.83 has a combo drive (DVD and CD Read / CD Write).
I don't get it, whats the difference. They are both DVD, CD Read and Write. Can you explain this please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 iBook
iCassie said:
I don't get it, whats the difference. They are both DVD, CD Read and Write. Can you explain this please?
The combo drive will not write to DVD's only read. The Super Drive does the lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 iBook
alexmaccoll said:
and they upgraded the hdd to 80GB and gave me a neoprene case thingy for free :D
Was that for being under 18 too? Not the first case i've seen on here where people are getting free upgrades and a case.. What's going on!?

Reaction score
juco said:
The combo drive will not write to DVD's only read. The Super Drive does the lot.

I don't understand waht you mean that it will only write to DVD's only read. Is it, does it only write to DVD's, only read it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
iCassie said:
I don't understand waht you mean that it will only write to DVD's only read. Is it, does it only write to DVD's, only read it?

Ok, let me break it down:

A Combo Drive can read and write CD's, and can also read DVDs. However, it can not write DVDs.

A Super Drive can read and write CD's, and can read and write DVDs.

Reaction score
London, Germany, USA, France, Holland, Belgium, Ca
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list but have the latest to oldest macs.
Get the black macbook, it just looks cool. Or get both, I am just waiting for both my white and black custom build orders to arrive. I ahve maxed out teh specs, as i ma far to lazy to do anything my self. I want it to simply work teh way I want it.

Or get a macbook pro, you will apreciate the ati graphics.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
apple_power said:
Get the black macbook, it just looks cool. Or get both, I am just waiting for both my white and black custom build orders to arrive. I ahve maxed out teh specs, as i ma far to lazy to do anything my self. I want it to simply work teh way I want it.

Or get a macbook pro, you will apreciate the ati graphics.

you sir appear to have more money than you know what to do with so if you fancy giving me one of those macbooks i will be more than happy to take it off your hands being a broke student and all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
juco said:
Was that for being under 18 too? Not the first case i've seen on here where people are getting free upgrades and a case.. What's going on!?

Usually when you buy stuff over the phone, they give you free crap. My dad orders computer equipment from Dell over the phone and they give him like free computers and monitors and RAM upgrades and stuff.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
guna try and order mine over the phone, hopefully i will get even more free crap being a student!

Reaction score
London, Germany, USA, France, Holland, Belgium, Ca
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list but have the latest to oldest macs.
pscl227 said:
guna try and order mine over the phone, hopefully i will get even more free crap being a student!

This is apple they will give you nothing. I spend approx in the region of £20k on apple products plus per year. I get some merits, like choosing my courier and a few other bits.

But odnt expect much from apple. By the way you will love your machine. Just load it with 2 gigs of ram.

M

MJGUK

apple_power said:
This is apple they will give you nothing
Oh yes they will :p
Well they always do with me anyway.....The last product I ordered from them was a MacBook Pro. I speced the machine out to a list price of just over £1,700 and paid just over £1,300.....No joke.

It's not very hard either, all sales 'execs' have sales margins, they have a monthly allowance to offer some nice discounts, you just have to work for it a little.
I just said 'What I need you to do is offer me your best deal now, as opposed to us going back and forward, bargaining over the next few days - This way you get your sale done and I get my product swiftly too' - I said something pretty much exactly along those lines and he went for it first time, no problem.
Of course with that particular sale I had education discount factored into that too, but regardless you're still looking at a few 100 pounds of savings and purely as a matter of principle, I'll take that anyday of the week.....and say thankyou :p

So really, it is worth bargaining with these people - The sales sector is the same wherever you go, they are all 'breakable' :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.