Best way to podcast two or more seperate voices? and other q's

T

tw0k1ngs

Ok, with Garageband in order to have two seperate "MC's" would I just have to plug in 2 USB mics? Would that enable us to each have our own line for recording? Also, can you use Skype to "interview" someone for your podcast?

Last question: Is there a way to record "what you hear" AS you speak into the mic as well?

I just ordered a macbook today, and would really like to know these answers. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
tw0k1ngs said:
Ok, with Garageband in order to have two seperate "MC's" would I just have to plug in 2 USB mics? Would that enable us to each have our own line for recording? Also, can you use Skype to "interview" someone for your podcast?

Last question: Is there a way to record "what you hear" AS you speak into the mic as well?

I just ordered a macbook today, and would really like to know these answers. Thank you.

Hi

1) I've heard that 2 usb mics don't work on g4 ibooks but assume they work on other macs. You are better of with a cheap mixer (berhinger ub808) and a couple of dynamic mics. Make sure that you adjust the balance on each a little to the left on one and the right on the other, give a nice effect.

B. Skype works well but requires a third piece of software, (which also covers your last question) Audio Hijack pro will let you record your skype interview and other things.

Depending on the interviews you could do a double endder. (not dirty) you each record your ends and then match them up in GB.

bone

OP
T

tw0k1ngs

boneheadz said:
Hi

1) I've heard that 2 usb mics don't work on g4 ibooks but assume they work on other macs. You are better of with a cheap mixer (berhinger ub808) and a couple of dynamic mics. Make sure that you adjust the balance on each a little to the left on one and the right on the other, give a nice effect.

B. Skype works well but requires a third piece of software, (which also covers your last question) Audio Hijack pro will let you record your skype interview and other things.

Depending on the interviews you could do a double endder. (not dirty) you each record your ends and then match them up in GB.

bone

Thank you for the reply :)

So you are saying that the MacBooks should work fine with 2 usb mics?

Also a question about Audio Hijack; will this program also record my voice as well? I know on my pc in Audacity I can record "what you hear", but even if you open a new window you cannot select micorphone to reocrd seperately. I have heard on podcasts recordings of the person's voice as well everyone on ventrilo, as well as what is going on in a videogame, all at the same time. This can be done with audio hijack?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All I know about the usb thing is that it doesn't work on the ibook. I think it should work on the macbook. If you buy two mic make sure you can return them just incase.

Why do you want two seperate tracks for the voice recordings?

Audio Hijack records "everything". So I would think that that is how the record the game and voices. It would create one track.

Disclaimer:

I am not a podcast expert I just pretend to be one on forums.

check out www.podcastpickle.com for more info.

bone

OP
N

Netglutton

I would definitely concur with getting a USB mixer. That was the first investment I made before attempting a podcast and believe me I tried every possible way around it. It just wasn't an option to plug in two usb mics into my iBook. Not to mention, you can get a much higher quality mic but not having to worry about making it USB. For podcasting I would recommend using a studio condenser mic. Good stuff.

Also, Audio Hijack IS the way to go if you are looking to record beyond GB or Audacity. It would be a perfect solution to Skype interviews and I know people who have used it for that exact situation without problems.

There is a an application called Call Recorder for Skype. I would only recommend this if you know you will only be recording Skype. And even then, it is only a demo if you do not pay the $15 they ask for.

Get a USB mixer, a decent mic (condenser), Audio Hijack, and Audacity and you'll be loving life! Happy podcasting!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Get a USB mixer, a decent mic (condenser), Audio Hijack, and Audacity and you'll be loving life! Happy podcasting!

Also consider an analog mixer with the griffin imic.

Another option is the Monster cable xlr to 1/8 to plug directly into your line in. I use one of this for mobile recording with an iriver 790 and a cheap dynamic mic with great results.

bone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.