iMac Freezing after Update with certain apps

C

cpipes

Hello All,

I'll start with the hardware. New Intel iMac 20" 1 gb RAM

Has anyone had this problem? I did the latest software update and the latest firmware update. I didn't have any problems with the install and it booted fine and I was able to use it normally. However I tried to use MPlayer a few days later and as soon as it launches my Mac freezes. Well let me define the freeze. I am able move the mouse and I see the mouse cursor however I'm not able to open anything or do anything cept for hit the power button and reboot. I thought it may just have been my program, but I noticed it again when I tried to use UnRarX a few days later.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
I had 1 such instance of that behavior, exactly as you describe it. In my case I had edited and was saving a photo with HP Photosmart Edit. I immediately installed the available updates this past Saturday when I got my iMac, so I have no idea how it might have behaved without them. I have not encountered that again since the first/only time, but it was definitely odd.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2GHz 250 GB 2 GB RAM 256 MB VRAM, 80 GB 5.5G iPod, 8 GB iPhone
I'm having the exact same problem. I thought it was safe to install the updates because I didn't have that Adobe Version Cue program installed, but I was wrong. My computer crashes when I try to run the LAME encoder for iTunes; which really sucks because I am in the middle of re-ripping all my cds, and now I'm stuck. Any tips?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.