Ohhhhh do I need help with Wireless modems

C

calming45

Hello, first thing I am new to this forum so any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 20" Intel imac a G3 ibook and a G3 imac DV. I want to link them all up to the internet which I have done all is fine. The two imac's are link to the modem via ethernet and the ibook has a wireless card. Now comes the problem, I have to change broadband provider and the current broadband provider (BT Broadband) has IP locked my wireless modem/router and I cant hack it I have tried. So I have to get something new. I am really confused as to what to get, it all seems like Japanese to me. Is there any good Wireless modems/routers that would do the job (with mac drivers) i.e.Easy. And what is Airport Express is it just a router or what??? I know this may seem like a really stupid question but when you don't know it drives you mad. I have been trying to get my head around this for ages. Everything other than Airport stuff seems just for Windows. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
How about an airport extreme and a cheap switch? Tell BT to configure their equipment as a bridge and then use yours as you like.

OP
C

calming45

MacsWork said:
How about an airport extreme and a cheap switch? Tell BT to configure their equipment as a bridge and then use yours as you like.
Hi Thanks for the reply. I might be able to do that but I havent a clue how to. The trouble is also Airport extreme seems a expensive for something that is just a router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Well,...they're Mac friendly which is what you had asked. You could get an $80.00 linksys wireless router with a built in 4 port switch to do the job as well.

Wireless is a standard. The interface by which you access the controls may be for windows. I know the wireless only routers by linksys have a setup utility that's windows only, like the airport for Mac, but the technology is cross platform.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.