macbook or imac?

S

scotty__d

Hi everyone, i currently own a 1ghz iBook G4. I have been keen to move onto an intel machine for a while now and think now's as good a time as any. I had previously decided to get a 17" iMac and keep the iBook for portable use. But now with the release of the Macbook, i could sell the iBook and replace it with one, saving me a lot of money compared to buying the iMac.

But i'm still unsure which way to go, the two machine set up would deffinately be better, as it would mean the load was shared (my iBook's pretty much being run into the ground at the minute). But wouldn't a 2ghz duo Macbook with maxed out ram be enough to handle pretty much anything? I'm a little weary of the onboard graphics, as even my iBook has a dedicated card, but again, wouldn't the power of the Macbook stop that from being an issue?

I could manage with the 13" monitor, as my current set up includes a 17" tft used with screen spanning doctor, (although i was keen on the idea of spanning the iMac across 2 x 17" monitors) :)

So what do you guys think? would it still be worth going for the iMac?

Thanks in advance, Scott

OP
E

Emuleem22

I'm sure you heard a lot of people saying this, and I'm not really sure about the validity of the claim, but I hear Macbook and MBP get extremely hot... to the point of crashing for some. I've felt my friend's Macbook and it was disturbingly hot, so I wouldn't buy a Macbook if I were you... though, the new screen and the size is very attractive. I would go with iMac.

from a satisfied owner of iMac Intel.

Reaction score
That's a tough one... :p

Are you looking to upgrade right away? If not, you may want to wait and see if the kinks are worked out of the macbook. I also think the imac's will be updated soon with faster processors...just my opinion.

Personally, I like the macbooks a lot. I tried it out in the store, and it's a great little machine. I would also consider purchasing a 17-20" LCD screen to hook up to the macbook. The best of both worlds! :miner:

VJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 500 Beige
But an Imac has a better screen, faster harddrive, much better graphics card, dual layer DVD burner, and the CPU runs much cooler...
I think it will be reliable in long term.
But the MacBook is (much more) portable...
:spook:

OP
S

scotty__d

VakeJ said:
That's a tough one... :p

Are you looking to upgrade right away? If not, you may want to wait and see if the kinks are worked out of the macbook. I also think the imac's will be updated soon with faster processors...just my opinion.

Personally, I like the macbooks a lot. I tried it out in the store, and it's a great little machine. I would also consider purchasing a 17-20" LCD screen to hook up to the macbook. The best of both worlds! :miner:

VJ

ye, i've already got the 17" i use with my ibook, so i'd be sorted there. Just a little concerned about how much i'd be pushing the laptop by running an additional screen. My ibook manages it, but it doesn't like it much

OP
S

scotty__d

Mac Hammer Fan said:
But an Imac has a better screen, faster harddrive, much better graphics card, dual layer DVD burner, and the CPU runs much cooler...
I think it will be reliable in long term.
But the MacBook is (much more) portable...
:spook:

ye totally, the imac's a better option. But i'm thinking of cash as well. The imac would be in addition to my ibook g4, whereas the macbook would replace it. The macbook would have more ram and a faster processor too, but i'm hearing about heat problems, that's never good

OP
S

scotty__d

Emuleem22 said:
I'm sure you heard a lot of people saying this, and I'm not really sure about the validity of the claim, but I hear Macbook and MBP get extremely hot... to the point of crashing for some. I've felt my friend's Macbook and it was disturbingly hot, so I wouldn't buy a Macbook if I were you... though, the new screen and the size is very attractive. I would go with iMac.

from a satisfied owner of iMac Intel.

I have a similar problem when using the external monitor with my ibook, it gets ridiculously hot. I put it on a desktop cooler when i use the extra tft, but it's still noticeable. This would be a drawback as i'm unsure whether it could do any damage by being too hot. Especially as ibook and macbook aren't supposed to suppert screen spanning.

OP
F

ForeverG5

Hi scotty_d,
I was in your boat last week when the MacBook was released. I have a 1.33GHz iBook and was planning to buy a 17" Intel iMac until the MB was released. I was thinking of selling the iBook and using that money to buy a MB. But the reasons I changed my mind are as follows:
1. The iMac has a bigger screen, less heat, a bigger/better hard drive, and a stronger video card (which is important to me for video editing).
2. The iMac is in a way portable. I mean, what? It's like 20lbs? If you really needed to, you could bring it with you.
3. Two machines is always better than one IMO.
4. My current 12" machine will be easier to carry around than the new 13" widescreen. I have seen pictures comparing the two and the 13" is much wider.

So, the iMac and MacBook are now basically the same price for the specs, but with the iMac, you just get more. I suggest you get that. You'll appreciate it in the long run. That is unless of course, you need a very powerful portable machine. Like, if on the go, you'll wish you had your iMac with you instead. Know what I mean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
Hmmm..

Well, to be honest I tend to prefer one all around computer to having a bunch of computers if possible. A lot of wasted time is used up trying to keep computers in synch.

It's hard to recommend a MB right now, since the heat issue is up in the air. It will probably be a couple more months before we really know if that is a serious issue. The MBP apparently does get hot, but it doesn't seem to cause it to fail as much as the MB right now.

If possible, it would probably be best to get a MBP. It has the power of an iMac and is nearly as portable as the MacBook. You can get refurbed MBP from the Apple online store for $1599 (1.83 Ghz model), and they have full standard 1year warranties.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...woa/wo/0.RSLID?mco=26403331&nclm=SpecialDeals

Reaction score
lonerider said:
It's hard to recommend a MB right now, since the heat issue is up in the air. It will probably be a couple more months before we really know if that is a serious issue. The MBP apparently does get hot, but it doesn't seem to cause it to fail as much as the MB right now.

Are there reports of the MB failing because of heat? Please post a link. Thanks.

I found some links. That sucks. Hopefully mine wont do that. (fingers crossed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
I would go for the iMac and iBook choice, you would have all your professional doings done at home and if you wanna go somewhere and do things light (such as watch a video clip or a dvd, or even show a presentation or something) then you have your iBook there and ready, I'm pretty sure the iBook would handle these things, I'm doing exactly the same thing with an Core Duo Mini and an iBook G3 (dual usb). I find it a lot easier this way so that when I go college I can type up work and store any files I need to transfer to my mini, when I get back I can use my mini for any professional doing I want it for.

It is highly a recommended choice!

Reaction score
i sold my iMac intel to buy a macbook, it's better for the wallet and good because you can take it anywhere. definitely recommend the macbook. if it breaks or people are worried it's fragile, thats what the 1 yr warrenty and 2 yrs of apple care are there for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Aluminum, 20", 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB of Ram
They really are two great computers. Really depends on if you need a great desktop or a great portable. I personally, purchased both!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
Id go with the two computers. Are you going to be using "demanding" programs on the run? If not then just use the low end computer on the run, and the iMac for the extensive programs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.