Emac Freezing!?!?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb
Monday my Mac froze when my entourage and my mercury messenger was loading.. I was able to move the mouse but nothing else... so I restarted. 1 hour after it did it again but not at the begenning of my session this time! So I restarted and check all my fonts, erased the duplicate one, scan my computer for viruses (!) and deleted all old softwares that I don't use anymore... everything went fine till this morning. I was translating words in the tanslation widget and when I click to get back to my main window all my screen went dizzy and freeze that way! I restarted and everything's fine for the moment! The last thing I did before having those problems was to install a tryout version of indesign by Adobe.... By the way I scanned my disk with disk utilities each time it happened and it find nothing...

For the past month my FTP port was opened on my firewall but nothing else.. is it possible that have been hacked or I got a virus????

Got a solution, can it be a hardware problem more than a sofware problem?

OP
bellastrada
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb
Thanks D3v1L80Y! I'll keep you in touch if it work! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
to me it sounds like a HD problem. Check your disk with the disk utility make sure its not failing.

Also, its FROZE not FREEZED.

OP
bellastrada
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for my English and thanks for the tip!
I did a check with my disk utility and it found nothing!

I'm presently at the office and I'm connect with my emac at home via FTP and I can see on the emac desktop at home, some files that are not supposed to be there cause, while I'm at home I can't see those on the desktop???!!!
Hope you understand!

So what going on????

Reaction score
eMac 1.25GHz freezing

I just had the same issue and after hunting around Apple's website and various other blogs, I found that my eMac was one of many that had bulging capacitors on the motherboard and I had to send it to Apple to get the motherboard replaced (it was free since my eMac was still under warrenty.) You can check for these bulging capacitors but opening up the acess panel on the bottom of the eMac (follow Apple's instructions for replacing RAM) Once you have the cover off, look inside and see if any of the visable capacitors have any brown junk on top or if any of them are deformed. This seems to be a common problem with many 1.25GHz eMacs.

Skim through this blog for more indepth info.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=1552817&#1552817

OP
bellastrada
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For know everythings seems to be fine! I just dis what is written in the thread (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5284) Big thanks D3v1L80Y! I also did the harware test with the start up CD.. and it found nothing, so don't think that's the mother board!. For now, delete all the preferences seems to be THE solutions for me... Thanks to you all for your solutions!

OP
bellastrada
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem came back! Hope this is not the problem that J.LaFrance talking about... To be sure I opened my emac and look inside... but what look like a capacitor??? There's three main things I can see below the memory card. Two things that are like batteries and one like a small donut, is it one of them?

Second question, if the hardware test program found nothing, (said the mother board is ok) can it still be that problem?

Third questions : Can I be sure that Disk utility will check everythings on my hard drive to be sure that everythings is ok with it?

And finally is there a log that I can look at to see what happened when my eMac crash?

OP
bellastrada
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problems seems to be the same as J.LaFrance! :( Threads: http://discussions.apple.com/thread...552817&#1552817

The problems is that I have bought my eMac one year and a half ago so the warrenty is expired!

Is there other person who experiencing that problems here?

OP
bellastrada
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since there's a Repair Program for that problem, the email below is not valid anymore!

Since Apple telling us that there's not enough persons who is experiencing this problem I'm trying to prove them the opposite!
SO...
FOR PERSONS IN CANADA OR IN QUEBEC THAT HAVE THAT PROBLEM, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT [email protected]
I'm in contact with a journalist at Radio-Canada that going to see if she can do something for us!

POUR LES PERSONNES DU QUEBEC OU DU CANADA AYANT CE PROBLÈME ENVOYEZ MOI UN COURRIEL À [email protected]
Je suis en contact avec une journaliste de Radio-Canada qui verra si elle peut faire quelque chose pour nous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
http://news.com.com/i/ne/p/photo/capacitors_apple_500x375.jpg

Look at that picture. Those are the capacitators. Good ones are completely flat on the metal, where the little cross is. Bad ones are 'bulging up', like when you put too much food in a bowl and cover it. You would think that apple would do a recall.

OP
bellastrada
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Beleive me iBeldar, I saw all of those picts! I'm so upset by this problem imagine 1400$ in the trash after only 1 year and a half!!!!.. I still have my first Mac Classic and two imac G3 that two of my friends use and they still work.... but my brand new eMac.. dead!

For now, Apple Canada told me that they don't do a recall because there's not enough eMac that have that kind of problem.... but on the apple Forum some people told me that they have them repaired for free even if their warrenties are over... don't understand!

Reaction score
The problem seems to be more wide spread then you think, seeing as that thread on Apple's website was about 500 posts long. Try comparing the serial numbers from your's and the other people on that thread. (Serial number located on the inside of the door that open up when the CD tray pops out. Just pop the CD-tray out and close it again but dont let the door close to read the number)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.