creating bootable partition on external HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
I'm looking to use my external HD both for backup and to be able to boot osx or windows with bootcamp. I've been told this can be done using disk utility but was not told the process. I'm wondering if anybody can help me out? Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
If you just want it bootable from OS X just restart with the DVD/CD and select it as the install location and proceed as normal. You can then use Preferences > Startup Disk to select which volume to boot to_Or in the event of a HD failure boot holding option. You can also attach it to another Mac and boot with it as well.

The Windows boot thing I'm not to sure on since iI have yet to play around on the Intel hardware.

OP
TBoblp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is there any specific way I have to format it? If so, how do I do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To boot OS X, a Partition must be HFS or HFS+. This can be done with Disk Utility.

The drives will appear on the left of the app window. Select one and use the options on the right to create a single volume or multiple partitions with multiple formats.

OP
TBoblp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I want to boot from windows what do i need to do? I already formatter a partition on the external HD for windows (FAT32). Can I now just load windows onto it (not having to use bootcamp)? Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think so. Boot camp does something to the boot loader to tell it there is a bootable windows partition (i think). Boot camp might be the only way. There may be an OF command that does the same thing but I don't know that to be true. Try using an XP CD and holding C at boot. I doubt it'd be that easy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.