• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Rosetta

A

aperture

I am a newbie and this is my first time posting on this forum. I am contemplating purchasing a Mac and I am curious about the power or limitations of 'Rosetta'. With Rosetta, can I run any MS Windows program on the Mac OS? I have several programs for MS Windows and I don't want to have to use 'boot camp'. If I am to make the switch, I want to make the switch completely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
Rosetta doesnt run Windows programs. Rosetta runs Apple programs designed for the PowerPC computers on the intel iMacs. Using boot camp and installing windows on the Mac is the only way you can run your windows programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Limitations of rosetta is speed. Still faster than my mac however eitherway.

you can run Windows with bootcamp on intelmacs. However not on the MacOS.

If you have programs for windows you use everyday post them we will find a replacement for almost all of them. Many may even be opensource (free)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.