PC User Needs Help choosing...

M

MikeS

Old story I'm sure...

I'm looking for a machine for use at home to capture and edit video (been using pinnacle studio on the pc), editing family pics (been using photoshop on the pc), web updates (been using net objects for years on the pc), organize family pics, update iPOD, light web use and light email use.

I buy quite a lot of computers (6+Dells, Gateway (bunk) Compaq ('eh), and on the whole, have been as reasonably happy, but know there's got to be better. I was going to pick up another Dell 380 Precision Workstation for the above use, but am considering an Apple product.

My concerns are:

- The learning curve of the OS (I've been a PC only user)
- The Power Macs are high-dollar
- Do I need a Power Mac for the above use?
- Is an iMAC a notebook computer inside monitor???
- If so, my experience has been that notebooks are NOT performers
- File Compatibility
- Software Compatibility
- Will I need to buy all new software?

If any users have been where I am, please let me know your experiences or advice from an experience user would be most helpful. I know there is something to the Apple product when applied to video and still imagery and would like to explore it.

The bottom line is, if the 20" iMAC isn't a low-performance, glorified notebook,
it may be a value.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
[email protected]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I would say that if your current PC's are doing the job, and if you are already comfortable with Windows and looking to get a new Windows PC, then you would be best sticking with that.

iMacs do use some notebook parts, but are far from a notebook computer. Even if they were, Mac laptops ARE performers. I use my PowerBook on a daily basis as my main machine. It handles anything I throw at it and never disappoints me. I could have said the same for the iBook I used to have.

Still, the bottom line is that you should use what works best for YOU. Seems to be that Windows does that for you, so I don't really see a need to switch from that.
:black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.