Does Bootcamp allow the potential for viruses and spyware w/ windows?

T

tw0k1ngs

As you know, the biggest advertisement for mac's is their ease of use and "protection from 750,000 viruses" or something. Now, with bootcamp, wouldn't all viruses still be prone to infest your macbook?

Reaction score
VakeJ said:
That wouldn't be true with Parallels, right? It's a virtual

No, its still Window XP running in a window. If it can run Windows software, then it'll run windows viruses. They won't have any effect on your OS X partition and they can be easily avoided anyways.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Mynameis is totally correct.

That said, BootCamp does nothing but make a driver CD, install a boot manager and partition the Hard Drive. When you install Windows in that Partition, it will work and act like it does on any PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
so to clarify, you can get viruses on the xp partition, but those viruses won't infect the mac os partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
That is correct, yes :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
so far anyway!! just be careful and always use virus protection etc

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am running AntiVir on my small windows install on my Core Duo Mac Mini. It works great and it's free. It's never falied to catch any virus that might come my way in windows. I use it on all my PC's.

OP
T

tw0k1ngs

What about spyware? Because spyware/malware have been more of a threat to me than viruses.

If I were to get spyware, it wouldn't affect my OSX at all right?

OP
E

edge

Correct. Windows only software (malware, most viruses, etc) will still run only on windows. You could have an infected Windows file (for example, a .exe executable) sitting on your OS X partition, but OS X would remain uninfected, as windows binaries will NOT run on OS X, regardless of your hardware platform. To date, there are no viruses or malware that are able to cross over from a windows install on the same system as OS X. I wouldn't expect to see anything like this any time soon, if ever (it would be extremely difficult, if even possible at all). Of course, as always when dealing with windows, be safe. Use Firefox or Opera, Antivirus protection, and scan for malware/spyware periodically with a program like Spybot Search & Destroy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
yeah, just be safe and your windows partition will probably stay pretty clean too. avg free and windows defender have worked very well for me. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
It's not hard to keep a Windows machine clean, it's just more work. Here is my maintenance schedule:

Monday: Adaware (adware scanner #1)
Tuesday: Spybot (adware scanner #2)
Wednesday: AVG (anti-virus)
Thursday: Windows Update (like Mac Update)
Friday: Disk Cleanup & Disk Defragmenter (free utilities included with Windows)

Only takes five or ten minutes a day to have a smooth-running machine. All of those apps are free, btw. I also run ZoneAlarm as my Firewall and access control app (similar to Little Snitch). Additionally, I use Firefox as my web browser instead of Internet Explorer and Thunderbird as my POP email app instead of Outlook/Outlook Express.

As long as you practice good Internet habits, you'll be fine. That means (1) don't visit bad websites, (2) don't open dumb email attachments, and (3) don't use free download apps for music, movies, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.