Mac-Forums.com guide to IRC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Welcome to the wonderful world of IRC. You are now embarking on a new and exciting world! So hold on and here we GO!

The information you will need to join from any client.
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #mac-forums

Don't worry if you don't understand that up there! Those that do understand it.. cool now join up!

Java IRC Start (not working):
Mac-Forums IRC java. Click there join up, then come back here and think about getting colloguy!

Application Start:
Download: Colloguy, I suggest the Stable build.

Colloguy is the client many of your favorite Mac-Forum members use.

**Feel free to post your questions after the end of this service announcement**

Well now you are wondering, how the heck does this thinga-ma-dealie work? Well, I will tell you!
1• First open the program! This will facilitate the use of the program.

2• You will be presented a screen called "connections"

3• You shouldn't need to look into preferences until you are an advanced user. Or have time to play around.

4• Hit "Open Apple" (command) + N, or go to file > New Connection!

5• Type in for Nickname: Your Mac-Forums.com User ID. So we know who you are, we wouldn't want to mix you up and ban the wrong person. :biohazard (well I would)

6• Leave Server Protocol the default.

7• Change the Chat Server to: irc.freenode.net (should be the first in the drop down menu, else get searching!)

8• Check "remember this connection"

9• Click Connect!

10• You will be taken back to "connections"

11• Click on your new connected client. (probably first on list)

12• Press the button at the top of Connections called "Join room"

13• Type "#Mac-forums" (or even Mac-forums)

14• You are now in the Mac-Forums room (may take a second to load up and don't be surprised if a window pops up with people in it!)

15• To 'register' or 'identify' yourself, type "/IDENTIFY #mac-forums apassword

16• If you join us frequently enough we will give you voice! (you'll be blue!)

You say: Well GeeWhizz! that wasn't that hard at all! I am sure glad I read that, I will now join up and check out whats happening live!

------
Please post your comments and suggestions, support
------

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Good idea, we've been needing a "guide" for a while.

It might be worthwhile to create a mac-forums web-based IRC entry. They aren't as feature filled as Colloquy or any other software program, but they are certainly easier to use and set up.

Here is an example of one I have running on my website:
http://rsensen.com/breakfastroom.html

I wouldn't recommend the Java client that I use above. They don't allow you to use your own images for the client itself (the software only allows images from their servers), but there are numerous other options. The only reason I used it in this case was because I didn't care too much about the interface, and I liked how the admin features were setup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
rs2sensen said:
It might be worthwhile to create a mac-forums web-based IRC entry. They aren't as feature filled as Colloquy or any other software program, but they are certainly easier to use and set up.

I agree.... They have one of these on a Photography forum that I spend alot of time on... And it really helps to keep the chat active. Using an IRC client is just a little beyond many users... and also because the IRC threads only pop up from time to time most people don't even know there is one. Having a "Chat" button in the nav that takes folks straight into the chatroom really aids in getting people aware of it.

Just my .02

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
You mean like this?

Great suggestion guys!

===
edit
===

Weak, it only connects to one server.

===
edit
===
which means we've gota find one that connects to irc.freenode.net :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I don't know how attached ya'll are to using IRC as the core... But the photo forum I go to uses FlashChat which integrates directly with Vbulletin. It will carry the vbulletin member's username/password directly into the registration when you click on the link to it... It also allows you control over the members that can access the chat... When you ban a member on M-F... they are banned from chat access as well.

The only downside with this is that because it is flash based and Mac's are notoriusly slow with flash... it can be a little sluggish at times.

FlashChat Demo (you can just make up a username/password)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.