B&W G3 or G4 Power Mac for learning

W

Wedge

Thanks. Right now I am going to update my wife's computer with a new iMac...the PC is getting a little boring but it finally works at the moment and I need it for 1 mission critical operation. I was thinking of trying something out with one of the older power macs without needing to purchase a whole lot of equipment...was thinking of doing a KVM switch.

A couple of the local computer stores (used) have some G3 (B&W) and G4 towers cheap. Goal would be something that I could run with open source software without much $$$ outlay, high system stability and security.

Just toying with the idea at the moment...without fear of destroying the machine that I need (already just about hosed my PC by trying to dual boot linux). Boot camp isn't an option - the PCs I have bought in the past came with the infamous "recovery" CDs so I don't even have a real Windows install CD and I just don't want to deal with a dual boot. I'll keep the PC around until I can get a solution for work on a different system.

Comments? Good idea or bad? Will my current monitor work? Will a PS2 keyboard and mouse work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
How cheap is cheap?

No, the PS2 won't work without an adaptor....

OP
W

Wedge

Cheap is under $200...preferably closer to the $100-150. Looks like I better find one that comes with a keyboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.