Mac OS Versus Windows

A

atif_farooq

Hi everyone,

Ok I'm new to the forum so if I ask or say anything then please forgive me!! Basically I am a lifelong user of Windows on standard PC's, gaming PC's and laptops. I have used all versions of it since Windows 95 and am very familiar with the OS. I have used an Apple Mac before, however this was about 3 or 4 years ago at university, and I don't really remember much of it, apart from the drag and drop CD icon to the recycle bin to eject it!

I'm looking at purchasing my own first laptop and really like the look of the Apple Macbook (2.0GHz white version) and really just need some honest advice. My main question is how difficult is the OS to use and will it be easy for me to adapt? I'm sure there are other people who have used both OS's so would really appreciate their opinions. I'll be using it mainly for wireless internet browsing, email, maybe a couple of games here and there (Football Manager 2006 :) ) and some multimedia use, such as video editing.

Sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere!

Thanks for any help in advance.

Atif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
OSX is ridiculously easy to use. You should have no problems doing any of the things you mentioned once you get the hang of it.

I know that response is short, but it's the truth. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Learning a mac is really easy, just read everything you can on them and start playing around on it. The best advice I give to people that have just got their first mac is to start playing with all the software, and then if you have a question about something, ask. Just like surfwax said, its easy to use and im sure you will be fine. The hardest part I had switching was the X to close a window is on the left instead of the right, but I figured that out real quick.

OP
A

atif_farooq

Hi,

Thanks for the advice so far. I have heard that the OS is easy to use, but this is from people who have READ that it is - it's nice to get feedback from actual users!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Most people have trouble with mac because they are trying way too hard.

It is not a childs game either. Its easy to use yet powerful enough to compete with linux and pc machines!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
i found it extremely easy to learn. the hardest part for me was getting used to the minimize/maximize/close buttons being on the other side of the window. it just takes a little getting used to the changes because you have to break old habits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have just made the switch. Like you, I was a lifelong Windows user. I would concur with one of the earlier posters who said that most folks have difficulties because they try too hard. That was my initial problem. Everything seems really easy and well laid out in Mac OS X. I kept looking for the usual "hard" way to do things, but it was never there. Instead, there is usually a simple, visual and graceful way to do whatever it is you want to do. Want to install an app? Just drag it to the Appications folder. Done! Want to create a Finder bookmark? Just drag the folder to the bookmark bar on the left side of the window. Done! Stuff like that... everything seems pretty easy.

This is not to say that there are not issues, there are. Learning any new OS takes time, but I would recommend the plunge. It is well worth it, and you won't believe how much you get for your money. Mac OS X comes stuffed to the brim with GREAT additional software like iPhoto, iMovie, etc. Even the basic file view, Preview, has some incredible capabilities.

I have just made the switch, and I am loving it!

OP
A

atif_farooq

I'm leaning towards the Mac now more than ever. Plus I'll still have my home PC for Windows, the Mac will be more for travelling and using in the garden!

OP
M

MJGUK

Whilst OS X is very easy to use as an operating system, it also has a great wealth of advanced features for you to explore.
If you give yourself a while to get used to it, I'm sure you'll love it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
go os x, you'll never regret it. It took me about two or three hours on a rainy day in february out of the box to get my way comfortably around my iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
After using OS X, Windows looks ugly with no style at all. XP is still riddled with graohics from Win 95.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Windows 95 was cribbed from the source code of Mac OS 1.0. OS X is quite different from all the earlier Mac versions, but it will be pretty familiar to a user of any windows GUI. You shouldn't have any trouble making the transition from windows to Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
jhelm007 said:
Windows 95 was cribbed from the source code of Mac OS 1.0.

I have to ask what your source is for that. While it is obvious that they copied the look/feel, I've never heard or seen any proof that MS actually stole/copied code from MacOS.

OP
A

atif_farooq

Hi all.

Thanks for the input from everyone so far - it has been really helpful. I went to the Apple store today and had a good 10 minute play around on the OS and I was already beginning to feel comfortable with it! I have decided that I am going to purchase one this week by contacting Apple directly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread or put out flame bait or anyting.

baggss said:
I have to ask what your source is for that. While it is obvious that they copied the look/feel, I've never heard or seen any proof that MS actually stole/copied code from MacOS.

I've seen the assertion several places:
http://www.guidebookgallery.org/articles/sortingoutfactfromfiction
http://www.jmusheneaux.com/index10.htm#2
http://home.earthlink.net/~mjohnsen/Technology/Lawsuits/appvsms.html

The basic gist of the story is that since the first useful app to be released with the mac was Word 1.0. Gates was given the entire source code so that his SW that he developed would be really tightly integrated (it was).

After that there is lots of disagreement about just how shady the 'copy catting' was. Windows up to 3.0 didn't look that much like mac (it sucked too). Then 95 came out and the only realy obvious difference was that the trash can was on the left and the apple (oops start) menu was on the bottom. In any case MS won all the important lawsuits so its pretty moot at this point, and mac OS is still more inovative and intuitive for the most part anyway.

MS wouldn't be stupid enough (even back then) to cut and paste code, but if they had all the source code handed to them and got to a 'how'd they do that?' point when they were writing win 2, 3 and later 95 what do you think they did?

Anyways the fact that Apple lost the look and feel lawsuit IMO was mainly due to the crappy management and loopy legal team that apple had at that time. That said, it may have set a good precedent for later software development giving programers more freedom to write better, but similar programs to existing ones.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
They did not steal the CODE of Mac OS as that would never run on Intel X86 hardware anyway. They copied features and the look. That is what the law suit was about, The look, Feel, Features. I am amazed that Apple lost that but Microsoft probably had very good lawyers.

They had Prototypes of the 128K Mac to develop software for Apple right in house at Microsoft. That is a fact.

I like Windows 2k and XP. I just do not like Microsoft's leaders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Guys, back on topic. If you want to bash Windows, go elsewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
As soon as you realize that you aren't using Windows or Linux or whatever OS you were using, and that you are now using a Mac, then you are good to go.
Forget everything that you have learned and became used to and embrace learning the new OS. Don't look for ways to do things like how you used to do them in your old OS. Don't look for software that mimics how things were done in your old OS. Don't think things like "I did it like this in (insert OS), so it must work that way in Mac OS"....etc.
Instead, read the Help files, get a book, look online and Google things... and learn how to do things the Mac way.

:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
Ok, this is me when I first started using Mac OS:
"Wait, you mean all I have to do is copy the file onto the hard drive and it's installed? Sweet!"

Mind you, that was yesterday, and I already feel like a pro at it. There are still some little things here and there I am confused about, but I am determined to master this beast if it kills me! Best of luck to you on yours.

Cheers!

OP
C

CompatiblePoker

No doubt go the Mac route. When I first got my Mac I was so frustrated just because the little things. Read up on the small basics and you'll be fine and love it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.