power supply dead

B

bakwoiz

Hi,

I have a powermac g4 533MHZ with a 338Watt power supply

The power supply recently died so i went online looking for a new one a found the cheapest one at 190 dollars. I know pc power supplies can run as low as 30 bucks and wanted to know if I am looking in the wrong place for the mac power supply.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Couldn't you just use a cheap one you could buy at Fry's? That sounds outrageous for a power supply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
174 at dvwarehouse.com

i think there might be something special about mac power supplies but dont quote me on that.
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
coach_z said:
174 at dvwarehouse.com

i think there might be something special about mac power supplies but dont quote me on that.
-chris
Yes, especially for that iMac there is a proprietary styled one. Yes, you can gut the iMac and put it in an ATX case, but that would require more work, time and money than it would be to just get the proper part you need for the iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
bakwoiz said:
Hi,

I have a powermac g4 533MHZ with a 338Watt power supply

The power supply recently died so i went online looking for a new one a found the cheapest one at 190 dollars. I know pc power supplies can run as low as 30 bucks and wanted to know if I am looking in the wrong place for the mac power supply.

Thanks

Let me look at the one in my old G4 Sawtooth. If it the right one, maybe I'll sell it to you for a reasonable price. PM me if you are interested.

OP
B

bakwoiz

new problem

i took some advice and am in the process of putting the g4 guts in an ATX case with power supply. before i took out the mother baord i checked to see if the power connector for the ATX power supply woulf work for the mac motherboard and saw that it is 2 pins shy. Does anybody know if that matter?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.