View Thumbnails

D

doox00

When looking at a folder with a bunch of pictures in it on my hdd, how/where do I turn on the option to view thumbnails of the pictures? Not finding this option anywhere.

thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
in finder under the View menu, go to 'Show View Options' (or hit command + j) and select Show 'icon preview'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
A follow on question. Where does Finder cache its thumbnails? It seems pretty fast, so it must be caching them somewhere. I am fanatical about keeping this kind of stuff cleaned up, so I would like to find it so that I can flush that cache from time to time. If not, over time it will become a huge, creaking monster. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
mac57 said:
A follow on question. Where does Finder cache its thumbnails? It seems pretty fast, so it must be caching them somewhere. I am fanatical about keeping this kind of stuff cleaned up, so I would like to find it so that I can flush that cache from time to time. If not, over time it will become a huge, creaking monster. Thanks!
i like to keep my computer cleaned up too so i use Onyx to clear the caches. it takes a couple minutes and it clears all of them, or you can tell it to clear only a few

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks michaelstumpf. Finding where you got OnyX from was as valuable as the tool itself. I didn't realize that the Apple site had such a large collection of links to useful programs on it. Thanks! I am a recent switcher from Windows to Mac, and it just keeps getting better and better!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I tried it, and it didn't seem to do it on the spot. It did tell me to restart, and after the restart, I noticed that Finder did have to regenerate the thumbnails again. So, this is interesting, but can you tell me where these Thumbnails are kept? Can they be simply be manually deleted? It has been that way in Windows and in most Linux distros I have used. I am hoping it is the same here in Mac OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Also,...

Do a select all on a folder full of pictures. Then right click one and select Slideshow. Move your mouse down to the bottom and select the Index Sheet button to view all pictures in "thumbnail" view. Kinda like XP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.