how do i make a disk image?

W

waterborne

how do i make a disk image? i think i am supposed to go to disk utility but i cant figure it out from there. when i click on the creat new image button it says it cant do it or something. if the image is on an external hard drive do i have to partition the hard drive? thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
create folder and drag it on disk utility icon.

OP
W

waterborne

i tried that and it says internal error... what might i be doing wrong?

Reaction score
waterborne said:
how do i make a disk image? i think i am supposed to go to disk utility but i cant figure it out from there. when i click on the creat new image button it says it cant do it or something. if the image is on an external hard drive do i have to partition the hard drive? thanks for the help

What you need is a utility like DropDMG.app. You can find it at:

http://c-command.com/dropdmg

OP
W

waterborne

is there anyway i can do this without having to download anything? can someone tell me the basic steps i need to do to password protect my external hard drive and other areas on my laptop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
waterborne said:
howdo i make a disk image? i think i am supposed to go to disk utility buti cant figure it out from there. when i click on the creat new imagebutton it says it cant do it or something. if the image is on anexternal hard drive do i have to partition the hard drive? thanks forthe help

waterborne said:
is there anyway i can do this without having to download anything? can someone tell me the basic steps i need to do to password protect my external hard drive and other areas on my laptop?

One of us is confused here. What are you trying to do? If you are trying to create a disk image, simply follow the instructions that MAC-simus gave to you (create a folder on your hard drive with all of the stuff you want on the disk image; drag that folder onto disk utility; follow instructions). If you are trying to password protect you computer, you can set that up in system preferences --> Security. Check the boxes that you want applied to your system (e.g. require password to wake from sleep or screen saver).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.