• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Watching AVI's on TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 20"
Hello all

I need help with going from getting an AVI file from my hard drive to viewing it on my TV.

Can anyone please give me any suggestion on how to do this?

I'm not too smart when it comes to this, so please give me step-by-step assistance if you could.

Cheers

Jim

Reaction score
OP
jim007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 20"
I have an iMac Intel 20' with a Dual-layer DVD burner.

Is it that simple? Do I have to convert the file with anything or just burn the AVI file onto a disc and throw it into my DVD player?

Reaction score
if you have toast 7.. it does all the encoding on its own.. burns it to dvd.. and pop that into the dvd player.. i've been doing that the last few days.. the encoding does take a while..
depending on the quality you wish to encode it to.. i really dont care about the time.. so i just do it at "best"

and i ONLY use verbatim blank dvds.. best buy has a sale on them this week for $14.99 for a 50 pack.

just set it to encode and let it do it overnite.. or just find something else to do.. lol

OP
jim007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 20"
No problem... Thanks for your help. I do have Toast 7...

I'll give it a try once I get myself some DVD blanks...

What about smaller files that would fit on a CD-R? Is it the same deal?... Just burn and go??

Reaction score
you should be able to burn vcds.. just not sure how great that would look.
pretty much.. just hit burn.. it does its thing..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 1.83 GHz intel duo 1.5 GB
Hey, I tried using Toast 7 to encode and burn an avi, but it came out black and white. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

OP
jim007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 20"
Giddy up guys... It works well... Thanks for the help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.