Lost iTunes music

B

ByllD

iTunes working fine. Open iTunes, see available music, click to play. Today, open and click, message says "The song ... could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?" I've looked with Finder and failed to find the music files. Where could they have gone, and why?

Thanks.

Reaction score
That just happened to me. I had been messing around with iPod notes, and one click got rid of everything. Search for individual songs in spotlight, if you can't find them my guess is they're probably gone for good (but I'm no expert on this sorta thing...)

If you have them on an iPod, you can use a program called Senuti to restore your library. That's what I did to get my songs from my PC to my macbook when I first got it. I'm in the process of doing it right now cuz I lost all my music like half an hour ago....

Reaction score
iTunes working fine. Open iTunes, see available music, click to play. Today, open and click, message says "The song ... could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?" I've looked with Finder and failed to find the music files. Where could they have gone, and why?

Thanks.

Have you looked in:

MacintoshHD -> Users -> YourUserName -> Music -> iTunes -> iTunes Music

This the default location where iTunes stores its library when you hand over management of your music files to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.