I just bought a G3 Power Mac on Ebay

D

djmew

400 MHZ, 128MB Ram and 8.5 GB Hard Drive

I am already planning on gutting the old HP Pavilion that I had and using the ram and hard drive I had in there. Which would give me 384 ram and 14.4 GB Hard Drive.

If I put OSX Panther, or Tiger on it, would IPhoto, IMovie, and IDVD (eventualy I want to put a DVD burner in it too) run well enough to be useable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
im guessing that it would be very slow...

Reaction score
you should check if the ram and hd will work( it might be the wrong type of ram)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
ANY IDE hard drive 120GB or less will work fine. Just make sure to set the jumpers correctly. Ram might be another matter. That machine takes stock PC-100 168-Pin DIMMS. They can not be larger than 256MB in the old B&W machines. There are 4 slots for 1GB RAM. I have 1GB in one here. iMovie will be slow.

OP
D

djmew

EDIT-XTREEM said:
you should check if the ram and hd will work( it might be the wrong type of ram)

Low end mac and the specs on Apple's website say that they should work. although I am not totally sure about the hard drive. Does the power mac G3 require SCSI or IDE. The B and W machine I just bought has a SCSI slot in the back of it so I was not sure about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Check which revision motherboard you have. If you have a revision 2 motherboard you are good to go. If it is revision 1 you will need to install a PCI hard drive controller to avoid data corruption problems. www.xlr8yourmac.com has an article on how to determine which motherboard you have. If you have a SCSI PCI card that shipped with the PowerMac, it will accept most 50 pin SCSI drives. www.xlr8yourmac.com has a drive compatibility database that is pretty thorough.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.