Processor Vs. RAM

J

Jonsey

Hey everyone,

I'm a new potential MAC owner (first ever) and I have a question. My budget isn't unlimited so I would like to know which option would benefit me the most.

I could either go for the midrange 2.0Ghz MacBook (White) with 512mb of memory and 60GB hard drive or;

The low end 1.83Ghz MacBook with 1GB of memory and an 80GB hard drive.

I rarley burn DVDs and if I do I could just do it on my PC, so the SuperDrive really isn't a big deal for me.

Both of the above systems are the same price, which would give me the best preformance and value? I'm thinking the second option but correct me if you think the extra 170Mhz will make a huge difference.

Thanks,
Cam

Reaction score
Ok dwilson, you just said two totally different things.

Does anyone else have another opinion? because I too am thinking about which one to buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
More RAM will make a MUCH bigger impact than the piddly 200mHz processor difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
BUT RAM is upgradeable..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
Get the higher end processor and buy the RAM from another vender. You will save alot of money on the RAM and get the faster processor too!

Reaction score
Jonsey said:
Hey everyone,

I'm a new potential MAC owner (first ever) and I have a question. My budget isn't unlimited so I would like to know which option would benefit me the most.

I could either go for the midrange 2.0Ghz MacBook (White) with 512mb of memory and 60GB hard drive or;

The low end 1.83Ghz MacBook with 1GB of memory and an 80GB hard drive.

I rarley burn DVDs and if I do I could just do it on my PC, so the SuperDrive really isn't a big deal for me.

Both of the above systems are the same price, which would give me the best preformance and value? I'm thinking the second option but correct me if you think the extra 170Mhz will make a huge difference.

Thanks,
Cam

GO for Hard drive and proc speed, like people said the RAM is the easy thing to get later on

OP
F

falcon 1

hi jonsey

i too had the same "dilemma". in the end i chose the 2GHz white macbook bec as what some of them said,

1. processor not upgradeable
2. dvd writer not upgradeable (if u need it later u will hv to buy an external one which will also cost $$. might as well get it 1st and utilise iDvD)
3. ram is upgradable via 3rd party vendors
4. harddisk is upgradable via 3rd party vendors

i am not willing to pay extra $$$ for the black version.

Reaction score
I think the fact that the hard drive is so easy to upgrade and the RAM is as easy as always makes the faster processor the best option. You have to think that this computer is going to last you a good few years. When it starts to feel slow, and you've saved up a bit more cash, you can always max out the RAM and double (!) the hard drive space, but if you have the slower processor its going to be an unupgradable limit.

Saying that the you have to consider what you will be doing, will they processor heavy apps (encoding video) or will you be a heavy multitasker who needs as much RAM as possible.

OP
E

edge

I'm kind of split between what a few people have said here.

If it were me, I'd go for the highest processor speed, and drop the memory and HDD down to the smallest sizes possible, and maybe even bump up to the super drive.

So you get the best burner possible, and the fastest CPU. Then upgrade the HDD and RAM on your own. It's very easy, and in the end, you'll likely be paying even less than what you're planning to pay now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.