Uninstall software on a mac?

D

doox00

How do I properly uninstall software on a mac? I just installed Virtual PC, and I want to uninstall it, just go to applications and drag it to the trash? seems to simple to me and seems it would leave stuff behind. This is my first mac and I am learning how to use it.. any other way to uninstall software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Yup thats it. If you are anal like me you can open up a finder window and type in virtual pc. Then delete the preference files too but they are small and it wont really matter if you leave them. I never installed virtual pc so im not sure where it puts windows when it installs. But you could do a search for that too and drag them to the trash if they are still there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There are some Apps that will come with an unistaller App (MS OFfice is an example) but most don't. You drag and drop to the trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
As others have said, just drag to the trash or if you want to get rid if the app's preference files it buries into your library check out AppZapper but you really don't need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Does anyone else find it ironic that just about the only programs out there that scatter themselves all over the hard-drive and require an unistaller are Microsoft ones - just like they all do on Windows? They're not happy just trashing their own operating systems, they have to mess up OSX too with their silly programming styles. I do, however, like Mac:Office 2004 even with its scattering.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
rcltrh said:
Does anyone else find it ironic that just about the only programs out there that scatter themselves all over the hard-drive and require an unistaller are Microsoft ones - just like they all do on Windows? They're not happy just trashing their own operating systems, they have to mess up OSX too with their silly programming styles. I do, however, like Mac:Office 2004 even with its scattering.
Yup, Microsoft doesn't even use the standard ways of making an app on Mac OS X. They use they're own system that I have no idea what it is (their apps aren't packages like most OS X apps are).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.