Problems with Boot Camp on MBP

ped

Reaction score
I got a MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz a couple of days ago. Very nice machine but I'm having major issues with getting Boot Camp to work. On first boot I registered my Mac and it told me I had a bunch of updates to apply, including a CSM firmware update. I applied them all at once, it rebooted and said CSM was updated. Then I tried to install BootCamp but it complained about needing newer firmware. I looked and found out there was a different firmware update, 1.0.1, for the MBP so I installed that too and BootCamp was OK with things. I partitioned the disk with BC, burned the drivers CD, and rebooted with XP CD in the drive. Instead of seeing the Windows install starting I get a corrupted screen with patches of colors all over. I've tried several different XP SP2 CDs and none have worked (all same result). So then I figured I'd try restoring (or at least try - heard the firmware will only fall back if the firmware installed is corrupted or otherwise incomplete) the firmware. I got the Firmware Restoration CD off apple.com, burned it, and proceeded to boot from it by holding down the "C" key on a reboot. It did the exact same thing the XP CD did! Now I know the system can indeed boot from a CD, because I reinstalled OS X in troubleshooting this problem by rebooting while holding Option to get the boot choices menu and choosing the DVD 1 of the install.

Anyone know what's going on here? Is this a corrupted firmware thing? If so how can I resolve it?

OP
P

ped

Reaction score
Some images of what the screen looks like when the machine goes down for a reboot to begin the XP install (and curiously what it looked like after that when I powered off and back on while holding the mouse button to have it eject the XP disk, which it did and then did the screen thing again). I had to power off and then back on while holding Option in order to be able to choose the hard disk and boot back to OS X.

DSC02130.JPG

DSC02131.JPG

DSC02132.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
ahh, you have what's called Kernel Panic. I'm really not experienced enough with macs to exactly know what this is, but I know it's not good. Your macbook's fine, but you'll need to do some -----

you might wanna re-install OS X, then try installing Boot Camp...

oh and before you install windows go over to apple's website and download the firmware from the site (Intel) i think it's early april or early something. that works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.