Playing DVDs

Reaction score
This might sound like a stupid question, but how do I get dvds to play on this thing (new intel imac). I was expecting to pop them into the slot and have them play, but that's not the case. What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
I have an iMac G5, and when I put a DVD in the slot, the DVD player program starts up, and away goes the movie.

After inserting the DVD, try launching the DVD Player application to start it. It can be found in the Applications folder, either by itself or in Utilities. I'm not sure as I'm currently using my windoze machine here at work.

Reaction score
paulgroovy said:
This might sound like a stupid question, but how do I get dvds to play on this thing (new intel imac). I was expecting to pop them into the slot and have them play, but that's not the case. What am I doing wrong?
They should open with DVD Player. If they don't, you can open DVD player yourself and then view the DVD. If you prefer DVD player to open automatically once a video DVD is inserted, try this:

Open System Preferences and click CDs & DVDs.
Choose an action from the pop-up menu for video DVDs.
Close the window to save your settings.

Hope this helps.

OP
P
Reaction score
I have checked my system preferences and it was already set launch dvd player when I insert a dvd, still the same thing. I then went and looked for dvd player where Jeremy said to and I honestly could not find it. Is it me or am I missing a dvd player utility?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The DVD Player is in the Applications Folder on the Hard Drive. It's called DVD Player. If it's not there that is your problem but it comes installed on all Macs that have a DVD Drive in them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
it should be in your applications folder. if you can't find it, click searchlight (the blue magnifying glass in the upper right-hand corner of the screen) and type "dvd player". if it's on your computer, spotlight will find it.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks dude, that worked. I have another question though, what's up with the region codes and is there any way to get around that? Is there another dvd player out there that I could download and set as my default. Boy this player really looks alot like the xmms player I had on ubuntu.

Just another point, the full screen playback is has a somewhat grainy quality. Is this normal?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
you can use VLC...search the forums real quick regarding region codes and the use of vlc in order to avoid the region code issues....i know i posted in one of them if that helps searching
-chris

Reaction score
Or the even nicer way: use that little remote and launch front row.

As far as I'm informed, DVD player doesn't launch by default anymore because apple expects users to use front row to watch dvds.

D

dthorn

yogi said:
Or the even nicer way: use that little remote and launch front row.

As far as I'm informed, DVD player doesn't launch by default anymore because apple expects users to use front row to watch dvds.

Not true. I have a MacBook Pro and DVD Player launches automatically unless I hit the 'menu' button on my remote before it has a chance to launch.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed, Right out of the Box my G5 iMac iSight with Front Row launches DVD Player with any Video DVD I put in the drive. Same with my Core Duo Mini.

D

dthorn

Exactly. Plus Front Row sucks up a lot of memory. I only use Front Row when I'm showing off to my Windows-adoring family and friends.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
dthorn said:
Exactly. Plus Front Row sucks up a lot of memory. I only use Front Row when I'm showing off to my Windows-adoring family and friends.

Funny, that's the only time I ever use it.

Reaction score
Well I use front row whenever I'm sitting on my bed and can't reach my mighty mouse.

So probably he needs to check his events n disc insert.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.