Wireless Internet with Both Macs & PC's

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am trying to set up wireless internet in my house and we have both Macs and PC's. One mac can hook up to the wireless router through a cable but my other 2 comps are all upstairs and need to be hooked up wirelessly. Right now I have a:
Belkin 2.4 GHz - 802.11g Wireless with High Sped Mode - 125 HSM router
My sisters PC running WIndows XP is using a Belkin 54 g card and her computer works... now here's my question

I have a G4 Imac running OSX 10.3.9.. what wirless card do i need to connect to the Belkin router? Will my mac even work with this wireless router? Do i need to buy the mac wireless router in order to get my mac computer working wirelessly and if so, does my sister have to buy a new wireless card to be compatible with the mac wireless router?

Thanks in advance for any help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
If the iMac doesn't have an Airport card than you'll need to scour eBay for one. Apple no longer makes Airport (11mbs) cards, only Airport Extreme (54mbs). I'm not 100% sure that is what your iMac needs but that's my guess without knowing the model or serial number. iMac G4 isn't enough info.

OP
nepgunes
Reaction score
ok here is more info about my iMac:
I went to About this Mac/More Info which is the System Profiler

Hardware
Machine Model: iMac
CPU Type: Power PC G4 (2.1)
Number Of CPU's: 1
CPU Speed: 800 mHz
L 2 Cache (Per CPU): 256 KB
Bus Speed: 100 mHz
Boot Rom Version: 4.4.0f1

Airport Card
No Information Found

Network
Configuration Name: Built-in Ethernet
Interface: en0
Type: Ethernet
I hope that gives you the info you need, I just ordered an airport extreme card, It should be here in a couple of days...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If I am correct in assuming that this is a Gen 2 iMac (the table lamp looking one) the yes, you need the 11Mbs card for your iMac. I have one that I am willing to sell, PM me if you are interested. The Airport Extreme card will not fit in the Airport slot on your iMac, Apple physically changed the cards dimensions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
yes, go through baggss to get an Airport card atleast its legit, and they install right in the bottom of your imac, easy to do yourself. Just make sure you touch the bottom of it (metal) before you start pokin around.

Otherwise ebay does have them some pretty cheap, but might not be a sure thing. And some apple resellers may have them also.

OP
nepgunes
Reaction score
i bought the imac 4 years ago and it is the table lamp looking one.. i PM'ed baggss already, thanks for the help... i will wait for my extreme card to get here and return it before I look to buy the airport (11 mbs) Card...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Got the PM. Let me know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.