So the newest model iMac G5 Intel Core Duo (20") is the best one to get, right?

H

Hexium

I've recently decided to switch to an iMac from my current PC. Reading this forum I've seen some people saying that the Core Duo doesn't work well with programs and slows down or something.

The Apple site says the newest model is 2 times faster than the old G5's. Is that true? I don't mind paying the full price for the newest Core Duo model if it's faster than the older ones.

(I want to get a 20" iMac by the way).

So basically I'm asking which is the best possible iMac I can get? Thanks :)

OP
L

Logan

From what I understand the problem with the newer intel chipsets is that some of the older software (older meaning software compiled for PowerPC aka the G# chipsets) have a performance hit since it's really emulating it. Fortunately all applications are being pushed to universal binaries in support of the intel change.

When you use universal programs you'll see the performance boost advertised on the apple site.... But since not all applications have made the move just yet, the intel chips may be considered "too new" still.. and you will probably see some performance HITS from the fact it's so new.

With bootcamp you'll be able to run Windows XP on your iMac too, which is cool, I have been doing searches for various OSX applications (I just bought a Mac Mini, it arrives tomorrow!) and it appears it has a version of almost everything I need for day to day operations. Really I don't think I'll be installing bootcamp on my system until later if absolutely neccessary.

This is what I've researched so far, hopefully it is accurate and informative to you!

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
For most stuff the Intel iMac 20" is the best out there at a reasonable price. IMHO.

I have this exact machiine and it is great. The intel chip does mean that some stuff runs slower than on Power PC machines, due to having to run under Rosetta.

For future proofing your purchase I recommend a Mac with an Intel chip. Apple are currently undergoing a huge change where by they are currently changing the entire line of products to Intel chips. Power PC chips will soon be out dated.

OP
H

Hexium

Thanks for the replies :)

The programs that run a bit slower because they're being emulated, are those the main ones like the web browser, iLife, anf iTunes? Or are the "PowerPC" programs more minor programs? I'm getting the Intel iMac no matter what now, just wondering what I might run into slowdown with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Hexium said:
Thanks for the replies :)

The programs that run a bit slower because they're being emulated, are those the main ones like the web browser, iLife, anf iTunes? Or are the "PowerPC" programs more minor programs? I'm getting the Intel iMac no matter what now, just wondering what I might run into slowdown with.

everything that comes installed on the imac is universal, so you don't have to worry about that stuff working. the main programs that are still powerpc are microsoft office and photoshop. office runs ok, but i can't comment on photoshop as i haven't tried it on my mac. both are expected to be universal in 2007.

Reaction score
i love my imac's :) i like the g5 a little more than the intel just due to the fact that i have had problems with the binaries issue too

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.