Glossy screens or normal screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
I am getting a Macbook Pro to replace my faulty Powerbook and wanted to know what would be the better screen to get as I do graphic design? I've been told that the gloss screen gives better colours and richer blacks. Is the screen any good or am I better off with the normal screen? I would like to hear a few comments from people who have a glossy Macbook/Pro screen

I

iRizzo

I got the glossy one. It looks really crisp and kind of shiny. Today im taking it to compare to my friend's Powerbook with the matte screen. I will take some pics to show the difference.

OP
randomfactor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
iRizzo said:
I got the glossy one. It looks really crisp and kind of shiny. Today im taking it to compare to my friend's Powerbook with the matte screen. I will take some pics to show the difference.

cheers!

Reaction score
Be sure to check one out in person. I have yet to see Aplle's version, but some make it very hard to read text under certain light. The glare can be really bad. On the other hand, Sony's seem to be not too bad. So I would check one out in person before I buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I personally do not like the glossy screens, I have always hated them on PCs and when I looked at the macbooks a week ago, I was not impressed. Of course, to each his own, but I would try to check one out before buying.

Reaction score
colour management

I would say there could be some problems with colour management with an glossy screen, as all other mac screen are non gloss

but I interested in other peoples veiws

Cheers

Damian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.5, 512, 80gb
i heard that for graphic design the matte screen is the way to go because the gloss screen shows colours that don't reproduce exactly in real life. If you know what i mean!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I work all day in graphics and from what I saw of the Macbook, the glossy screen is no good.

All of the reflections from behind me alter the visible colors on screen and on darker colors I can see my reflection, which is distracting.

It seems that the glossy screen would be good for watching DVDs, though.

Reaction score
London, Germany, USA, France, Holland, Belgium, Ca
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list but have the latest to oldest macs.
I have just ordered a new 17 and 15 with glossy screen to go alongside with my matte finish exisiting 17 and 15"MBP. I liked what I saw at the apple store on the macbook.

Also I have it on my windows laptops and sony desktops ocmputers. Looks great, reflection, does not bother me at all.

M

MarteDVX

Well I just bought my MBP today. I looked around and looked at the glossy screens. I have to say they look great, but the reflection on them is way too irritating. There doesnt seem to be a time when you don't see any reflection. I just picked the non glossy because I plan to use it anywhere. For someone who might just use it at home in a dark room id say go for the glossy. Just way too much reflection in my opinion. BTW I love this MBP, no problems and its sooo awesome! :mac:

N

NoShow

randomfactor said:
I am getting a Macbook Pro to replace my faulty Powerbook and wanted to know what would be the better screen to get as I do graphic design? I've been told that the gloss screen gives better colours and richer blacks. Is the screen any good or am I better off with the normal screen? I would like to hear a few comments from people who have a glossy Macbook/Pro screen

Any pics??? I'm doing a custom order and am really struggling with whether to get a glossy or non-glossy for the 17" MBP...

M

MJGUK

I have a couple pics of a glossy one if that helps....
I recieved it last Friday, although unfortunately I'm awaiting the arrival of a new one as the first one was faulty.
Personally though, I really like the glossy screen on the MBP.

I

iRizzo

Hmmm I don't think I do have the glossy screen then. I made my screen black and it doesn't reflect like that. I thought I had it but I guess I don't...?

M

MJGUK

Well apparently the reflections/glossy effect is not so great on the MBPs as opposed to the MBs - However it does seem pretty obvious when the screen is off, you should be able to notice that at least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I just got back from the Apple store up in southlake... looked at the glossy screens on the MB/MPBs.... They look great to me. Very clean looking... reflections didn't bother me at all... I want one! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.