How come other Manufacturers don’t have an issue with heat??

Reaction score
Hello:

I’m REALLY tempted to purchase the macbook, but since the release of the macbook pro there has been a lot of criticism with Apple’s notebooks. I stop by this forum a couple times a week, and there are just tons of threads of noisy macbook pros, and heat issues.

Other manufacturers are utilizing the core duo chips (Dell, Levono, etc). I find it interesting that “heat/over-heating" does not seem to be an issue with their machines.

Some have mentioned the over abundance of thermal paste could be the culprit. There are a few supporters of this notion, but others have valid arguments against it as well.

Curious as to why other manufacturers don’t seem to have a heat issue similar to Apple notebooks. A colleague of mine has a core duo dell, and it runs about the same temp as my IBM T41 (1.6MHz).
VJ

p.s. if a similar thread has been posted, please remove…I could not find one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
From what I originally read of the problem, it was caused on the Macbook Pros due to Apple having their technicians incorrectly apply thermal past. People who took their macbook pro apart and recoated the chip seemed to have solved the problem and brought CPU temps down to where they should be. At one point, a site was even hosting a copy of the manual where Apple incorrectly states what to do. They were then ordered by Apple to take it down. I don't know what they latest is or if the problem has gone away with the introduction of the Macbooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
VakeJ said:
Some have mentioned the over abundance of thermal paste could be the culprit. There are a few supporters of this notion, but others have valid arguments against it as well.

Actually there are MANY supporters of this notion and those who have stripped and reapplied the paste have reported the heat at normal levels. Those who are arguing against it obviously don't have Macs or have applied the fix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think PC manufacturers just use more fans, which results in a louder, but cooler notebook.
Also: Most PC laptops have larger cases, which means more room for heat to spread.

Apple's notebooks are quiet but hot, and have been so for quite some time now... (even my iBook G4 isn't really cool enough to be used on your lap over long periods of time).

Personally, I'd take quiet over cool any day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
im sitting on the fence right now about the thermal paste thing, but i have a feeling they arent using enough (i think that is what the problem is)

i do believe 1/2 of it has to do with apple creating such small laptops and not being able to put a lot of fans in there and using the actual case itself to disapate heat
-chris

L

lil

Actually it is where too much has been applied completely caking the CPU and Northbridge chips effectively insulating them.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5 + 20" Apple Cinema Display
yeah with thermal paste its not the more you put on the better it works, it has to be applied properly, and obviously Apple's technicians weren't taught how to do it right.

L

lil

*lodges tongue firmly in cheek*

Have we found why Apple wasn't successful at getting a 970FX into a PowerBook? "Are you sure Steve, 2lbs of thermal paste seems a lit..." — "Don't defy me young lad, slap it on there!" :eek:

:flower:

Vicky

E

edge

Really, this sort of thing is to be expected. Apple is dealing with new hardware, completely new builds of their notebooks, etc. You don't think Dell, HP, IBM, etc, have ever had problems when switching to new hardware types? Only a year ago, I had to send back boxes upon boxes of dell AC adapters on recall, because they were prone to overheating and catching on fire. And that's not even the computer system, just the AC adapter.

I think the problem stands out more because Apple has a more narrow range of prodcts (which is a good thing) than say, Dell, or HP.

I still intend to purchase a MacBook, however, I'm not afraid of opening up the system to re-apply thermal paste if that becomes necessary.

B

bfx

Saw the pics mentioned above

ROFLMAO !

There's enough compound there to do 50 to 75 cpus. At least.

Don't believe me?

Go to Artic Silver's site and call up the installation links.

Typically you use a dab the size of an uncooked grain of rice.

The compund is only used to fill micro grooves and scratches so there's an even contact across the full area with no micro gaps.

While it is heat conductive under those conditions greater thicknesses become heat insulators.

BTW - Artic Silver is pretty much the de facto compound for builders. It costs a bit more than other brands - but not that much - and works a LOT better.

bfx

OP
V
Reaction score
I believe it was the macrumors website, which had an article pertaining to the thermal paste. They reapplied the thermal paste, and it didn't have a dramatic impact on the ovearll temp. I think it went down about 2 degrees.

lso: Most PC laptops have larger cases, which means more room for heat to spread.
I guess this is true. But people have been complaining about heat with 17" MBP's as well. That's a pretty big case....

Really, this sort of thing is to be expected. Apple is dealing with new hardware, completely new builds of their notebooks, etc.
I'm sure this is true, but I guess people aren't accustomed to these type of issues with a mac. I'm still a bit astonished that other manufacturers use the same chip, but don't have the same heat issue. It's a bit puzzling. Maybe it's more than just the cpu...who knows... :blind:

To be honest, with the multiple complaints (this forum and others), I've decided to hold off to rev. B of the macbook. It's very painful to sit here and see pics of everyone's macbook :p I would get extremely pissed spending $1100+ and having a notebook with some of the issues mentioned...

Reaction score
Most other brand laptops have always-running fans. Between my iBook, an IBM T30, an IBM T43, and a Compaq laptop.. the iBook is the quietest by far. I can go to bed with my iBook on, without hearing anything. My external hard drives are louder than my iBook.

All 3 other laptops very much make their presence known to various degrees (loudest being Compaq, by FAR).

And heat issues? Have you seen those under-laptop USB-powered fan tray units sold in stores? There's a good reason for them. My sister's Compaq pretty much requires one, I swear it should have been included in the package. One of the guys in my class this semester had a Dell which such overheating issues he actually carried that USB fan tray with him at all times and set it up even in class.

Keep in mind I have NOT dealt with MBP's or MB's, but this is just statements of comparison of what the other brands have to offer.

Reaction score
Oh and 2 notes I forgot-

I had a Gateway laptop fail after 2 years due to what I can only assume is a fan failure, as it overheat and shutdown within a shorter and shorter amount of time after startup.

My above mentioned T30 now appears to have had a fan failure after 3 years, and gets really, really hot quite quickly now. It gets hot enough that I don't use it anymore as I don't think its worth repairing, and I don't need it enough this moment to run it into the ground (on fire).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24/2GB/750GB+iBook 12"/1GB/60GB+30GB iPod Video+PC AMD64 4000+/2GB/300SATA+Nikon D2X etc
As a user of both an iBook 12" and an Acer AMD64 3400+, I've got to say the Mac is the cooler and doesn't require the Akasa Notebook Cooler I use with the Acer.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
VakeJ said:
I believe it was the macrumors website, which had an article pertaining to the thermal paste. They reapplied the thermal paste, and it didn't have a dramatic impact on the ovearll temp. I think it went down about 2 degrees.

I guess this is true. But people have been complaining about heat with 17" MBP's as well. That's a pretty big case....

Yes the 17 in MBP has a bigger case but it is still just as thin. Since the screen is much bigger they need the extra room to incorperate a larger battery, more fans extra. Thus the case is still just as crammed as the 15 in MBP. If apple could have made the case any smaller they would have LOL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.