Potential Maccer seeks info

Reaction score
Greetings. Please make allowances for what might seem like extremely basic or simply daft questions...... I am looking at getting myself a Macbook. So far so good. My Wife will continue to use our existing broadband setup on Win2K on our existing pc. Will I be able, via use of a router or some such device to use this connection simultaneously? Or do I need to relocate myself to somewhere near there is a hotspot and connect wirelessly? That's it for now. No doubt there will be more queries to follow. Heh heh heh. Cheers Mitcherooney :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
Mitcherooney said:
Greetings. Please make allowances for what might seem like extremely basic or simply daft questions...... I am looking at getting myself a Macbook. So far so good. My Wife will continue to use our existing broadband setup on Win2K on our existing pc. Will I be able, via use of a router or some such device to use this connection simultaneously? Or do I need to relocate myself to somewhere near there is a hotspot and connect wirelessly? That's it for now. No doubt there will be more queries to follow. Heh heh heh. Cheers Mitcherooney :D

I have a Linksys WRT54G router, and run an XP Media Center PC, a Mac mini, and an iMac wired via the router (sharing the connection). I sharing folders on the XP machine, and on both Macs, as well as two printers. I've got two laptops that connect wirelessly (secured) via the same router. So, you can do it either way. That particular Linksys router is a workhorse, and I think most will agree, it's tough to beat for the money.

Mark

E

Ex_PC_Puke

As mentioned ---- your typical home router is neutral as far as supporting PC - Macs - etc.

My D-Link and Belkin routers (wired / wireless) support PCs + 2 Macs and 2 linux PCs all running at the same time ----- thats the beauty of TCP/IP networking :p

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Thanks Guys. That's put my mind at rest. I now have to pacify the Wife re the expenditure involved in getting the machine..... Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
Mitcherooney said:
Thanks Guys. That's put my mind at rest. I now have to pacify the Wife re the expenditure involved in getting the machine..... Cheers

A) You deserve it.
B) At least your not out every night drinking (unless of course you are) :)
C) You're tired of buying curtains, furniture, and household goods.
D) Both of you will be more productive.
E) Your hormones are out of whack. Possible mid-life crisis.

I might start with "D". :)

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing you join us here bubbling over with enthusiasm!

Mark

Reaction score
My tip is to get a wireless router. I am using a siemens and I'm pretty happy with it, my imac get's the signal well.

And with a macbook you'll want the protability, right :) ?

Well, apart from that, it should work fine. You should find out with your ISP though whether any setting up is needed. Having a TV cable myself, I don't bother with ADSL modems and their finicky workings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.