Patriot 1GB Modules for Dual Core Intel?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
I bought one of those a few weeks back and it's worked very well so far. Contrary to what one of the reviewers said, it does run at 667mhz, at least mine does. It's a good deal for more memory.

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
dohidied said:
I bought one of those a few weeks back and it's worked very well so far. Contrary to what one of the reviewers said, it does run at 667mhz, at least mine does. It's a good deal for more memory.

Yes, I saw that one reviewer's comment, and was a bit concerned. There was, I believe, also one reviewer who mentioned getting kernel panics after installing that RAM. Otherwise though, it seems everyone's had good luck with it. It's definitely hard to beat the price.

Did you add a 1 GB module to an existing 512? That's certainly the most cost effective option, though I'm wondering if I really should pick up a pair, and "lose" the existing 512 stick.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
some ram seems like roulette with macs. sometimes it give you kernel panics and sometimes it works perfectly. if you get busted ram you can always just return it.

i actually got a single 1gb dimm when i bought the computer, so i just added a second 1gb. since the imac supports memory interleaving i think it's best to have the same size dimms. you can probably sell the 512 somewhere.

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dohidied said:
some ram seems like roulette with macs. sometimes it give you kernel panics and sometimes it works perfectly. if you get busted ram you can always just return it.

i actually got a single 1gb dimm when i bought the computer, so i just added a second 1gb. since the imac supports memory interleaving i think it's best to have the same size dimms. you can probably sell the 512 somewhere.

Good deal. Thanks for the info!

Mark

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I went for 2 1GB modules. The price is great, and having them in a pair can't hurt. If there's any issue, I'll just get an RMA. Anything else I should know about removing/inserting them? Looks easy enough. Flip it over, 2 screws, 2 levers, . . that's it? Thanks again!

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah, the install is pretty straight forward. nothing out of the ordinary.

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got the RAM, installed it, and System Profiler reports 2GB DDR2 RAM running at 667 MHZ. So far, so good.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
excellent. now as long as you don't get any kernel panics for the next few days you're good to go. :)

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dohidied said:
excellent. now as long as you don't get any kernel panics for the next few days you're good to go. :)

Exactly. :) The "burn-in" period is a tense time indeed. Well, we'll see.

Mark

L

Logan

Is this for Mac Mini's or iMacs?
It says notebook RAM and I believe that's what the Mac Minis use. Clarify for this and I may take advantage of the weekend deal too!

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Logan said:
It says notebook RAM and I believe that's what the Mac Minis use. Clarify for this and I may take advantage of the weekend deal too!

I bought mine for the Intel Core Duo iMac, which does use Notebook memory. My PPC mini uses desktop memory, but I'm not sure what the new Intel minis use. The "weekend deal" at NewEgg for the Patriot RAM is over, but the price is only about $4 more per stick now anyway.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Logan said:

yes, the intel mac minis and imacs use the same ram.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.