Networking Mac and PC

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question about networking and I am very new to this....

I have this old G4 tower that I recently stopped using because I just bought a mini mac. I also have a PC laptop and a printer. My idea is to use the G4 tower as a backup server which connect the mini mac, Pc laptop and the printer.

But here is the complicated part (at least to me...), first of all I am in the rented office space, meaning that I am using their internet connection and the G4 Tower is connected through Ethernet already. Second, the printer I have is MP780 from Canon and it doesn't have built-in networking option, only the USB.

All I want is to use the G4 Tower as the backup server so that I can exchange the files between the mac mini and the PC laptop and also the center point where the PC laptop and the mac mini can print from the printer.

I really appreciate if you have any suggestions.

Thanks bunch in advance,

Design Agent

J

jy106

Set up user accounts on your G4 tower and connect all 3 computers to the office ethernet. Then just look for the G4 tower on the network and login safely. I have a usb printer connected to a PC and I can print via my wifi network, just make sure the printer is shared.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions. In this setup which computer should I connect the printer to? Would that be G4? Then if I connect the printer to G4 will it be autimatically shared?

many thanks,

Design Agent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
@PunkRockTuba:
That site rocks! Thanks a ton.

J

jy106

Design Agent said:
Thank you for the suggestions. In this setup which computer should I connect the printer to? Would that be G4? Then if I connect the printer to G4 will it be autimatically shared?

many thanks,

Design Agent

You could connect the printer to any of the computers, if you connect it to a mac just go into: system preferences > sharing, make sure printer sharing is ticked. You should then be able to add the printer on the computers on the ethernet. :mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.